Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sup.. first post.. anyway

i bought a giant ocr3 a month ago and im putting lots of miles on it.. im taking cycling seriously already so im starting to think about weight issues and stuff.. and i wanted to remove the inline brakes on the top bar because i never use them.

i could go to the bike shop but i like doing stuff myself.. i googled and searched here but i couldnt find anything.. so if anyone could gime some directions or link me to something helpful id be stoked. thanks

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Ride your bike

luc said:
...im starting to think about weight issues and stuff.. and i wanted to remove the inline brakes on the top bar because i never use them.
This is not the place to be looking for any significant weight savings. The parts that make your bike heavier are the frame, the wheels and you. I guarantee you that the inline brakes are not holding you back (unless engaged). Just ride your bike and enjoy, the speed will come as the miles pile up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FatTireFred said:
remove tape, remove cables & housing, remove inline levers... install new housing (maybe cables), re-tape, adjust brakes, trim and finish cables if new.
cool thanks.. i was hoping i wouldnt have to take so much stuff off but whatever

Keeping up with Junior said:
This is not the place to be looking for any significant weight savings. The parts that make your bike heavier are the frame, the wheels and you. I guarantee you that the inline brakes are not holding you back (unless engaged). Just ride your bike and enjoy, the speed will come as the miles pile up.
the main thing isnt the weight.. i just dont use them so i wanna take them off.. and if itll save me a few grams why not

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I just removed the inline brakes from an OCR3. I did not need to replace cables. I was able to thread the cable back through the original housings. As you know, there is a break in the housing where the cable goes through the inline lever. I simply butted the two ends of the housing together and taped securely. If you're lucky, the splice will end up under the bar wrap. But I don't think it matters. It probably isn't exactly kosher, but still functions perfectly. I can't see how it would be a bad thing strucurally, except for possibly more friction at the joint - but my edges were well finished and I can't see or feel any detriment in the brake functioning.

When you do this, you'll obviously have to clip the ends off the cables to remove them from the housing to remove the inline levers. The whole thing depends on having enough left after you cut so that when you re-thread them, you can still get the brakes to work and adjust properly, and put a new crimp thing on the end. Remember you'll have to thread through the housings again - so you need to clip carefully and keep the ends from unraveling. You'll need some new end crimp thingies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.