Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm looking for some help out there.
i have owned a Look 695 SR for 4 years which has just had to be retuned to France for repair as the aluminium sleeve in the BB which holds the bearing flange cracked most of the way around. Apparently Look repaired it then sent it China rather than the UK and somewhere along its long journey the dropouts got damaged, so it's kaput again.

Look have offered me some options.
1. Repair the current frame again.
2. Replace it with. 695 ZR
3. Replace it with a 695 Aerolight

I am getting on (49) but still road race as a cat 3 and am still competitive. I loved my old SR and am concerned that the ZR won't be stiff enough. I am 85 kgs, can ride at 300 watts FT and chuck out 1100 in a 10 second sprint.

i am not a fan of aero bikes as I am the biggest lump on a bike and am yet to be convinced that hiding the brakes and cables is going to make a difference to having a 6' 1 bloke sat up in the air.

does anyone have any experience, good or bad in comparing the SR to the ZR, and brake rub on the Aerolight ? Much appreciated.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I can only vouch for the 695 ZR, which I briefly rode and came away impressed. I don't put out the absolute power you do, but I found nothing wrong with the stiffness of the frame. As for the Aerolight, I never cared for the integrated front brakes and underside calipers. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a good pair of conventionally mounted-calipers will provide you with more than enough stopping power. And despite what Look says, I have been told that the integrated brakes in the Aerolight are not as powerful as a DA caliper and they are difficult to work on. Personally, I'd go with the new ZR.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have no experience with any of these frames, but... I would rather be on a new frame than a 4 year old frame that has two repairs on it. If they repair it, and a year from now you have an issue they are probably not going to give you a better deal than what they are offering now. With some research, like you are doing, you will get the answers, but I would think that even for Look (who controls their own carbon) 4 years could change a lot with the technology. Every brand is always saying 10% stiffer than last years, so a lower priced frame may equal what was state of the art back then. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
no experience with those bikes but if there is no weight penalty I can't see why you wouldn't go with the aero bike. It's new, will probably hold resale better than the other two options and it's cool. Can't imagine brake rub being a huge problem, what wheels are you going to be using?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Friend has an Aerolight.
The brakes inside the forks look cool but are horrible to work on. Even the builder at Ride magazine found it a pain the neck to build.
I would never get one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that. I share your views on brakes, but still worried about the potentially softer frame of the ZR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Major concern about the aero bike is getting a wheel change whilst racing,and then actually having some brakes if and when I ever catch back up to the bunch depending how long said wheel change took. I run campag shamals for racing because they are stiff, versatile and bombproof but I have a set of the new Mavic carnon clinchers on order, on which I am taking a punt, having no experience other than a review on bikeradar.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that the ZR is a "potentially softer frame". Is it because it doesn't have the "Super Rigid" moniker? If you're that concerned about reduced stiffness, then the only way to know is to throw a leg over a ZR and find out for yourself. However, I doubt that Look would significantly degrade the 695. And I believe the Cofidis team used to ride ZR frames before going to Orbea. The 695, and Look in general, have a solid pedigree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone suggesting a test ride; unfortunately this isn't an option being offered by Look as this is a warranty repair or replacement issue. Hence the request for advance from anyone who's actually ridden any of these bikes and therefore may be able to offer an objective opinion.

so if anyone has ridden a ZR and thought, hmm, that's a bit more flexible at the back end than the previous model, that'd be great. Similarly, if anyone has changed their SR/ZR/Light to an Aerolight, and thought, hmmm, that brake rub is irritating, that'd be helpful too.

calling any Look owners. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not in an Aerolight or a ZR. Everything is 795 or 695 light over here in the UK. The ZR doesn't come with a Zed as standard so has a different BB Arragement and layup. Plus it doesn't have the stem block. Look run a weird demo fleet here in the UK, I rode a 795 with aksyium wheels and a compact chainset. Totally pointless on an out and out race bike. Because my ZR is 4 years old they are offering a 2015 bike as a replacement out of stock in France. Bikes in the stores over here are all 2016 with upgrades such as the Zed 3 chainset so I wouldn't be making a true comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, any chance you could ask him what rim widths he uses and whether a quick wheel change, ie, in a race, is easy or not. Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts