Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love some help from you guys. I'm just getting back to roaod riding and have been test-riding a bunch for the past 2 weeks. I thought I was sold on the Roubaix Elite until I found a Scattante Scandium with full Dura-Ace grupo, weighing in at 17 lbs. The bike feels great and they're getting rid of the model so it is $1,999. I could get the Roubaix Comp for about $2,300 with mix of Ultegra and I don't know what. The Elite is a level lower and I can get it for about $1,800. The Scattante just seems too good to pass up--it's really a sweet ride! I just don't know the brand and so it makes me nervous. I will mostly be doing long touring rides and charity rides, like AIDS Lifecycle. Any thoughts????? Kathleen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Much different frames

Have you ridden both bikes? It seems to me that the ride would be quite different for each, given that the Roubaix is a carbon frame, and is specifically deseigned more for comfort.

I personally wouldn't use a Dura-Ace/Ultegra distinction as a criterion for buying a bike, since I doubt whether the average rider would notice a big difference between them. Instead, I would use wheel quality as a more important variable.

All that being said, if you're juiced on the Scattante, I don't think you would have a problem with it. I certainly wouldn't expect the frame quality to be noticeably different than any other bike out there.

modernmoment said:
I would love some help from you guys. I'm just getting back to roaod riding and have been test-riding a bunch for the past 2 weeks. I thought I was sold on the Roubaix Elite until I found a Scattante Scandium with full Dura-Ace grupo, weighing in at 17 lbs. The bike feels great and they're getting rid of the model so it is $1,999. I could get the Roubaix Comp for about $2,300 with mix of Ultegra and I don't know what. The Elite is a level lower and I can get it for about $1,800. The Scattante just seems too good to pass up--it's really a sweet ride! I just don't know the brand and so it makes me nervous. I will mostly be doing long touring rides and charity rides, like AIDS Lifecycle. Any thoughts????? Kathleen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ridden both but I was a little dazed after test riding all day. The Roubaix feels sweet. Ahhh, like, oh yes, this is right. But the scattante with the scandium really flies and the scandium is supposed to be a little more absorbant than alum. So you don't think the dura-ace factor is a big deal?


Bertrand said:
Have you ridden both bikes? It seems to me that the ride would be quite different for each, given that the Roubaix is a carbon frame, and is specifically deseigned more for comfort.

I personally wouldn't use a Dura-Ace/Ultegra distinction as a criterion for buying a bike, since I doubt whether the average rider would notice a big difference between them. Instead, I would use wheel quality as a more important variable.

All that being said, if you're juiced on the Scattante, I don't think you would have a problem with it. I certainly wouldn't expect the frame quality to be noticeably different than any other bike out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I'll bite...

There's a lot of bikes out there for $1,999 or less. You're doing yourself a disservice if that's all you're looking at. Hook up w/ a bike shop and get fitted, that could be worth more than the Scattante bike.

As an aside, I suspect the Scattante bikes are so cheap because they're not advertising through conventional means, as in, not paying for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
Scr

If the Scattante SCR comes also with the Shimano DA wheelset, then you should buy it. An engineer friend of mine has one, and is delighted with its weight-performance-comfort factor. I wonder if Specialize have their frames built in China or Taiwan also?! As long as the bike delivers a good ride and durability, then who cares as to the place they were built.
modernmoment said:
I would love some help from you guys. I'm just getting back to roaod riding and have been test-riding a bunch for the past 2 weeks. I thought I was sold on the Roubaix Elite until I found a Scattante Scandium with full Dura-Ace grupo, weighing in at 17 lbs. The bike feels great and they're getting rid of the model so it is $1,999. I could get the Roubaix Comp for about $2,300 with mix of Ultegra and I don't know what. The Elite is a level lower and I can get it for about $1,800. The Scattante just seems too good to pass up--it's really a sweet ride! I just don't know the brand and so it makes me nervous. I will mostly be doing long touring rides and charity rides, like AIDS Lifecycle. Any thoughts????? Kathleen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I'm replying to the replies right but what the heck. I'm the one with the original question...Thanks for biting...
Do you really think there are a lot of full Dura-Ace, 17lb., carbon/scandium bikles out there under $2K? If so, what are they? The price was originally $4K and it's half off so I'm really confused now. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong things.


9-speed said:
There's a lot of bikes out there for $1,999 or less. You're doing yourself a disservice if that's all you're looking at. Hook up w/ a bike shop and get fitted, that could be worth more than the Scattante bike.

As an aside, I suspect the Scattante bikes are so cheap because they're not advertising through conventional means, as in, not paying for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
tend to agree

9-speed said:
There's a lot of bikes out there for $1,999 or less. You're doing yourself a disservice if that's all you're looking at. Hook up w/ a bike shop and get fitted, that could be worth more than the Scattante bike.
I tend to agree here. Although the SC-R is a great deal and you probably won't regret getting it, now is a pretty good time to look for 2005 closeouts. It sounds like you're near a Supergo/Performance shop, and the last time I checked they were getting rid of all Giant and Specialized. And it also looks like the CF-R is going to be replaced with a new compact model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YES, it has the DA wheelset, easton carbon fork, carbon seatpost...
but as nice as a roubaix with lesser components???????


ru1-2cycle said:
If the Scattante SCR comes also with the Shimano DA wheelset, then you should buy it. An engineer friend of mine has one, and is delighted with its weight-performance-comfort factor. I wonder if Specialize have their frames built in China or Taiwan also?! As long as the bike delivers a good ride and durability, then who cares as to the place they were built.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
modernmoment said:
I don't think I'm replying to the replies right but what the heck. I'm the one with the original question...Thanks for biting...
Do you really think there are a lot of full Dura-Ace, 17lb., carbon/scandium bikles out there under $2K? If so, what are they? The price was originally $4K and it's half off so I'm really confused now. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong things.
So what's your question? You seem really set on this hot deal. Buy it.

I assume you're buying this from a shop, being that you said you had tested it. Well, believe it or not, there are shops looking to unload their 2005 stock. Go look for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you're totally right. All the roubaixs I'm looking at are 2005--I'm looking to save $ so everything I'm looking at is 05. I'm not set on anything--I jsus want a bike I'll like and am trying to figure out what that is.


9-speed said:
So what's your question? You seem really set on this hot deal. Buy it.

I assume you're buying this from a shop, being that you said you had tested it. Well, believe it or not, there are shops looking to unload their 2005 stock. Go look for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
modernmoment said:
I don't think I'm replying to the replies right but what the heck. I'm the one with the original question...Thanks for biting...
Do you really think there are a lot of full Dura-Ace, 17lb., carbon/scandium bikles out there under $2K? If so, what are they? The price was originally $4K and it's half off so I'm really confused now. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong things.
I wouldn't take MSRPs too seriously- esp. on 'private label' brands. But to answer your question, you are going to have a hard time finding a Scandium frame w/full DA for under $2k. You can probably build one, but that means... well... you'll have to build it. And you don't know exactly how it's going to ride until you're done with it (unless you're duplicating something you've already ridden). Having bought private label stuff, I have to say that if you're not made of money and you can get past the 'brand name' thing, you'll usually wind up ahead if you know what you're looking for- which to me it sounds like you do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
To the OP...

Before I go on, my "troll radar" is a little sensitive today. Too many times does someone come on the board posting how great a no-name frame is only to post 5 times and disappear. Only to show up a month later as someone new and start it all over again. I've been lurking for quite a while and I've seen a ton of this.

If you are truly for real then I apologize for being harsh. And I would also suggest that you keep shopping. $2,000 is a lot of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I'd go for it....

modernmoment said:
YES, it has the DA wheelset, easton carbon fork, carbon seatpost...
but as nice as a roubaix with lesser components???????

Wow. Supergo/ Scattante is well-known for selling bikes for equal to or less than the cost of the groupset that is on the bikes, and this definitely sounds like one of those deals. It's almost like they're throwing in the frame for free. And if it ever came down to it, if you wanted to replace the frame with a CF frame, I'm sure you can get something for the old one on eBay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
Looks like a good deal

With those components (especially the wheelset), I would say go for it, if it fits, feels comfortable, and meets your needs, whatever they may be.

modernmoment said:
YES, it has the DA wheelset, easton carbon fork, carbon seatpost...
but as nice as a roubaix with lesser components???????
 

·
likes to eat donuts
Joined
·
827 Posts
It's easy!

If you really like the Scattante, and it sounds like you do, go for it.
Especially when it sounds like such a great deal.
Besides,you could have some extra money to buy a new cycling outfit or 2 to match your new ride!!

Just make sure to get a bike that fits you well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what a "troll" is, but your edges sure are sharp. I'm not touting Scattante as a great at all. I rode them thing for the first time in my life yesterday and am just trying to get some info, as I imagine most of you know more than i do about the stuff. The brand could be horrible for all I know. Trust people. There are worse things in life than helping someone who needs it. If they are only pretending to need it then shame on them, not you.


QUOTE=9-speed]Before I go on, my "troll radar" is a little sensitive today. Too many times does someone come on the board posting how great a no-name frame is only to post 5 times and disappear. Only to show up a month later as someone new and start it all over again. I've been lurking for quite a while and I've seen a ton of this.

If you are truly for real then I apologize for being harsh. And I would also suggest that you keep shopping. $2,000 is a lot of money.[/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
modernmoment said:
I would love some help from you guys. I'm just getting back to roaod riding and have been test-riding a bunch for the past 2 weeks. I thought I was sold on the Roubaix Elite until I found a Scattante Scandium with full Dura-Ace grupo, weighing in at 17 lbs. The bike feels great and they're getting rid of the model so it is $1,999. I could get the Roubaix Comp for about $2,300 with mix of Ultegra and I don't know what. The Elite is a level lower and I can get it for about $1,800. The Scattante just seems too good to pass up--it's really a sweet ride! I just don't know the brand and so it makes me nervous. I will mostly be doing long touring rides and charity rides, like AIDS Lifecycle. Any thoughts????? Kathleen
I think they're both pretty different bikes. The Roubaix appears to be built for century riders, so if your focus is that you should consider it. From my experience, I've seen a really high number of AIDS Lifecycle riders choose the Roubaix (I was one of maybe three riders on the AIDS ride last year that were on Tarmacs).

That being said, if you're looking for a deal I think Felt sells a carbon DA bike around 2K. Although their warranty support is bad, I would rather have carbon over Scandium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
I'm going to actually be the one to suggest you think carefully before getting the Scattante SCR. Before I do that, I will note that I have two of the supergo frames (the Alumium road frame, and XCL mountain frame) that I built for my wife and have been extremely happy with them.

The topic of the SCR came up a while ago and a poster who used to work for supergo said that they had a lot of warranty issues with that frame breaking. He said the CFR was very reliable as the other frames so I tend to believe him. The fact that Supergo discontinued that frame pretty fast makes me a bit suspicious also.

If you are willing to risk the frame may break and not be replacable, the bike is a steal.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,480 Posts
modernmoment said:
I would love some help from you guys. I'm just getting back to roaod riding and have been test-riding a bunch for the past 2 weeks. I thought I was sold on the Roubaix Elite until I found a Scattante Scandium with full Dura-Ace grupo, weighing in at 17 lbs. The bike feels great and they're getting rid of the model so it is $1,999. I could get the Roubaix Comp for about $2,300 with mix of Ultegra and I don't know what. The Elite is a level lower and I can get it for about $1,800. The Scattante just seems too good to pass up--it's really a sweet ride! I just don't know the brand and so it makes me nervous. I will mostly be doing long touring rides and charity rides, like AIDS Lifecycle. Any thoughts????? Kathleen
If you really like the Scattante, buy it. Keep in mind that as the years go by, if you take it to a bike shop other than Performance/Supergo you are likely to get angry looks and such. Every LBS will know where you got the bike from and they will not be happy about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THANK YOU! everyone's comments have been so helpful--this was a really useful forum. I have to say that my take-away is that even though the Scattante felt really good and is a very good deal, I'm an LBS kind of gal. I know that I can't go into an LBS and get a full DA 17lb bike for $2K. It just won't happen, last year's model or not. BUT....I like knowing the people and getting good service and all that jazz. Good decision? Who knows. I'll keep you posted on what I get (I'm sure you'll all just be DYING to know)! Thanks for all your input.




il sogno said:
If you really like the Scattante, buy it. Keep in mind that as the years go by, if you take it to a bike shop other than Performance/Supergo you are likely to get angry looks and such. Every LBS will know where you got the bike from and they will not be happy about it.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top