Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! As you can see I am new to the boards! I greatly appreciate these boards and all of the info in them.

OK...I am looking into buying an old Benotto. The owner says its from like the mid-80's. It has 105 Rear Der., New 3ttt stem old style, New 3ttt drop bars, newer bladed alx 295 wheelset, a nice saddle, and shimano clipless pedals (don't know which ones).

The owner wants $300 for it.

I have never ridden a road bike before but I do have a mountain bike (Raleigh M80) and I have taken it to the trails several times.

I just wanted your input on this bike to see if it is worth it. I haven't even seen it yet, but he is my same exact height (5'11").

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
do you have the opportunity to test ride the bike? if not, don't buy it. if you have never ridden a road bike before, i would initially advise against getting one from some guy off the street. IMHO fit and comfort are the most important factors for a first-time roadie. the fact that you are the same height means relatively little vis a vis how the bike fits/feels.

what are your cycling plans/goals? fitness? lose weight? commute to work? fast club rides? racing? what?

benotto is a nice italian brand, but keep in mind many benottos were made in mexico (not that there is anything wrong with that).

cyclinrookie said:
Hello all! As you can see I am new to the boards! I greatly appreciate these boards and all of the info in them.

OK...I am looking into buying an old Benotto. The owner says its from like the mid-80's. It has 105 Rear Der., New 3ttt stem old style, New 3ttt drop bars, newer bladed alx 295 wheelset, a nice saddle, and shimano clipless pedals (don't know which ones).

The owner wants $300 for it.

I have never ridden a road bike before but I do have a mountain bike (Raleigh M80) and I have taken it to the trails several times.

I just wanted your input on this bike to see if it is worth it. I haven't even seen it yet, but he is my same exact height (5'11").

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to meet with the guy some time this week to test ride it.

My goals are really for fitness/weight loss and eventually get into the racing and all that good stuff.

So if it does fit and it is comfortable, is it a good bike in general (with all the components listed)?

Thanks for the reply team!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Impossible to tell without seeing the bike, but his price seems high, maybe even double market rate according to recent eBay listings. I don't know much about Benotto or old Shimano stuff. I'm sure others with more insight will weigh in.

Benotto with Shimano for $180.
http://cgi.ebay.com/57cm-benotto-tr...224820948QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Benotto frame for $52.
http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-BENOTTO...222600783QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cyclinrookie said:
I am going to meet with the guy some time this week to test ride it.

My goals are really for fitness/weight loss and eventually get into the racing and all that good stuff.

So if it does fit and it is comfortable, is it a good bike in general (with all the components listed)?

Thanks for the reply team!

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
I would agree that the price seems a tad high however decent road bikes in this price range can be hard to come by in certian areas. At this price it may not be worth looking at ebay because of the shipping cost and because you can't verify condition.

If you ride the bike and it seems to fit well and is in good working order I would not hesitate. If you decide you don't want it in a week you may very well lose 1/2 or all the money but if you like it and enjoy riding you could very easily get $300 use out of it in 1 season.

Overall it is pretty low risk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw the bike...

Saw the bike just now and I wasn't satisfied. It is too old and the gears are on the downtube (I dont know how I didnt catch that on the pic). It was surprisingly light and it didnt ride too bad but I'd rather just save up for a brand new bike or maybe even a used Cannondale.

Thanks for all your help anyways!

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
cyclinrookie said:
Saw the bike just now and I wasn't satisfied. It is too old and the gears are on the downtube (I dont know how I didnt catch that on the pic). It was surprisingly light and it didnt ride too bad but I'd rather just save up for a brand new bike or maybe even a used Cannondale.

Keep an eye out for a Schwinn Peloton on ebay in your size (56 or 58 maybe). They were made around 1999-2000 just before they went to Pacifica. They are an all steel frame (reynolds 853) with mostly ultegra stuff. Some have aluminum forks and some have CF. So so wheel set.

There have been two go on ebay the last few weeks for under $400 shipped. They are one of the persistent better deals out there.

Good Luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the recommendation LL! I am definitely keeping an eye out on ebay.

Dave - the bike didn't feel too big for me. Obviously the bike was set up for the seller's measurements but it wasnt too big. Thanks anyways!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...another bike for your input...

This is a 1997 Cannondale R600 with a caad3 frame. It is BONE STOCK as in he has not done ANYTHING to the bike as far as upgrades in components and all the other good stuff. I think it came stock with Shimano RX100 gear.

I have not gone to ride it yet but it is my frame size. I have had good luck in trying out bikes that are a size 56 cm.

The owner wants $500. I can probably get it down from there a little bit though.

Is it worth the money?? Yes I know Im not paying as much as you guys pay for your bikes but unfortunately it is kind of a sacrifice for me at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the bike.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
For

cyclinrookie said:
This is a 1997 Cannondale R600 with a caad3 frame. It is BONE STOCK as in he has not done ANYTHING to the bike as far as upgrades in components and all the other good stuff. I think it came stock with Shimano RX100 gear.

I have not gone to ride it yet but it is my frame size. I have had good luck in trying out bikes that are a size 56 cm.

The owner wants $500. I can probably get it down from there a little bit though.

Is it worth the money?? Yes I know Im not paying as much as you guys pay for your bikes but unfortunately it is kind of a sacrifice for me at this time.

Another 100 bucks, you could get a brand new Specialized Allez and have full LBS support. It would only be Sora/Tiagra components, but they would be new and probably be better than the 97 shimano stuff. Then you'd have a new ride that you could slowly upgrade or whatever.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Too Much

cyclinrookie said:

$500 is approaching (if not there) the number where ebay (including shipping) becomes a great option for a used bike or as physasst pointed out you can start to look at new bikes.

It is hard to say for sure with the limited description you gave but I don't think the Cdale is worth $500. <$300 I'd jump on it it. $300-$400 I'd give it serious thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys! I will probably go see it this week. If I like it enough I will take your advice LL and offer him $300 buckaroos to see if he bites. The bike IS 9 years old you know? If he doesnt go down I will just buy a brand spankin' new one. I just have a thing for Cannondales. Always have. I don't know why.:) :cool:

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
cyclinrookie said:

Just FYI, anything older than about 1994, if it has not been upgraded, will have downtube shifters. If you don't want that, then you'll need to look newer and probably spend a little bit more than what you're looking at.

Do you have anything to ride at all? I think there's value in just getting out there while you save for something nicer. Lots of good "just need something with wheels and pedals options" are at garage sales and on Craig's List. Many folks started out on low end mt bikes even...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I do have a MTB. It;s a Raleigh M80 and thats what I have been using on and off-road. I can't wait to go faster and longer on the road when I get my roadie.

This Cannondale that I am looking at in particular has the new style shifters. I didn't like the Benotto b/c of the down-tube shifters :( but thats just me.

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Lol

cyclinrookie said:
... I just have a thing for Cannondales. Always have. I don't know why.:) :cool:
I always had a "thing" for Cdales as well. Years ago when I got my first MTB I really wanted the Cdale but got a Schwinn to save a few hundreds bucks. My first bike ebay purchase for myself was a Cdale beast of the east MTB set up as a Single speed for road use. I still ride it quite a bit. Did 25 miles on it yesterday and will use it for my one way commute some time this week.

Cdales are great bikes but I think there is something about the name that draws people to them. I have never ridden a Cadd3 but I have heard people say they are great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts