Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my right SRAM Rival Shifter. I ordered an entire right shifter assembly and received the shifter.... box is marked "Right Shifter" as is the shifter body. After I installed it, cables and all, I tried shifting and it only shifts twice, just like a left shifter would for a FRONT Deraileuer (except I the inboard direction like right shifter would). Can one change the shifting mode on an SRAM shifter? Did I get a defective part? I have replaced cables before, but never a shifter? Could I have done something wrong?

V/R,

Roger

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
I had to replace my right SRAM Rival Shifter. I ordered an entire right shifter assembly and received the shifter.... box is marked "Right Shifter" as is the shifter body. After I installed it, cables and all, I tried shifting and it only shifts twice, just like a left shifter would for a FRONT Deraileuer (except I the inboard direction like right shifter would). Can one change the shifting mode on an SRAM shifter? Did I get a defective part? I have replaced cables before, but never a shifter? Could I have done something wrong?

V/R,

Roger
After you installed the shifter but before you connected the cable did you put tension on the cable (pull on it) while single tapping the shifter paddle to make sure you were all the way into high gear (what would be the small cog)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I just tried that...I released the pinch bolt, indexed it to the highest gear...reapplied pinch bolt...still indexes only twice. What am I doing wrong?

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
Ok I just tried that...I released the pinch bolt, indexed it to the highest gear...reapplied pinch bolt...still indexes only twice. What am I doing wrong?
When you had the cable unhooked and indexed it to the highest gear did you keep tension on the cable with your fingers and try to click through all the gears to make sure you're getting nine or ten clicks depending on if you have ten or eleven speed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you mean the guide do you mean the round side that has the cable indent or the two tabs? I routed in on the round side with the cable indent. Is this correct?

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
When you mean the guide do you mean the round side that has the cable indent or the two tabs? I routed in on the round side with the cable indent. Is this correct?
What I meant is it comes out of the tension adjustment screw and there is a u shaped guide that it lays in before it gets connected to the pinch bolt. You have it correct on the pinch bolt. Also, are you pulling the cable tight before you tighten it on the pinch bolt. Once tightened down and in the small cog there should be a fair amount of cable tension otherwise it has to take up the tension before the derailleur will start working.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Glad you got this sorted. Are you aware that there is a Components & Wrenching forum as part of RBR?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts