Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new stem needs more force than usual to fit into my steerer tube. I measured the diameter of my new stem and my old stem and the diff is about half mm. My stem is on my steerer tube now and i can move my fork with my stem which is unbolted. What are the risks of a tight stem?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Even harder to get out.

Add time and galvanic corrosion. No telling how hard removal could get.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,399 Posts
If the quill stem is new, the steerer tube must be slightly dented or misshaped. To prevent the stem from "welding" itself to the steerer, you will have to remove it every 6 months.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just worried that i might crush the steerer tube. It seems to get out ok..it is made to fit but it is just tight , like trying to put a seatpost into a seattube.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Threaded or threadless?

Jared said:
My new stem needs more force than usual to fit into my steerer tube. I measured the diameter of my new stem and my old stem and the diff is about half mm. My stem is on my steerer tube now and i can move my fork with my stem which is unbolted. What are the risks of a tight stem?
You say the stem fits into the steerer tube, which suggests it is a threaded system. Then you talk about crushing the steerer tube, which suggests that it is threadless. Which is it? At any rate, you can change the outer or inner diameter just a bit with emory cloth if the stem is metal. Other than that, be sure everything is well-greased when you put it together, and disassemble and re-grease at least once per year.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry if i didn't make myself clear , it is a threadless stem (I hope it is anyway). My stem is an Oval Concepts R700. Is it ok to grease a carbon steerer tube? I know it is bad to grease a carbon seatpost....Thanks for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts