Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently driving a Porsche Boxster but need a car that I can put my roadbike inside. I would like it to be a sport sedan or even a sportscar (preferably manual trans). Has anybody been able to put a bike in a 3 series BMW or an Audi TT for instance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
DG
Fort Myers, Florida

·
Oh hai there
1,104 Posts
I fit mine in the back of my 335i sedan. Fold down the seats and remove the wheels, I could probably fit two bikes in there.

BMW made a 540i wagon that is absolutely awesome, not a new vehicle though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Ferrari 612 Scaglietti should work, it's a 4 seater. Seriously though, any decently sized sedan (3 series on up) should have enough space to fit a wheel-less bike inside. A question though, why does it have to be inside, most of us have the bike on the outside when we're driving it somewhere (using racks, hitches, or truck beds). You can most likely get a class I hitch installed on your Porsche and then use that for a hitch rack. It also helps to tow around a wheel trailer for autocross days.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine fits in the back of my 02 Subaru WRX wagon.
The back seat area is small, I just put it in upside down and turn the bar. It fits snug and having it inverted keeps the drive train off the interior. Works very well.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Admit it, you just wanted to tell everybody you drive a Porsche Boxter but are thinking about buying a BMW just so you have something to carry your bike in.

My road bike (or my tri bike or mtb) fits in the trunk of my Taurus with the wheels off so anything with that much trunk space or more will work. I can get all 3 at once in the back of my old Cherokee with a little effort. But my personal favorite way to transport my road bike is on it's wheels under my arse.

·
Erfahrener Radfahrer
707 Posts
Dr_John said:
My '01 330i sedan has fold-down rear seats (it was an option), so I have no problem. The bike goes back there all the time.
Can you leave the rear wheel on?, or do you have to take it off?

I am looking for the same model.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
A bike rack is much cheaper to get than a new car.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Can you leave the rear wheel on?, or do you have to take it off?
Yes. Just remove the front wheel and that's it. Do keep in mind that the fold-down rear seats was an option that many (including dealers) were unaware of, so many 330i's will not have them.

·
Erfahrener Radfahrer
707 Posts
Dr_John said:
Yes. Just remove the front wheel and that's it. Do keep in mind that the fold-down rear seats was an option that many (including dealers) were unaware of, so many 330i's will not have them.
Thanks.

Was this only for the 330i's, or were all 3 Series available with that option?

The main reason that I want a 330i is that it's the same base motor as in the "M", and the "M" is not available in a 4 door. I will then do some engine and suspension work, but that's a whole other story... :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Was this only for the 330i's, or were all 3 Series available with that option?
I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it was an option on the 330ci's. Just the 330i's.

I have Dinan stage II suspension on mine, which IMO, is perfect for a commuter. Engine is stock, other than underdrive pulleys.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
I have a Legacy wagon and can slide the whole bike inside without removing the wheels. Drop the rear seats and in it goes.

Not nearly as chi-chi- as a BMW, but then again, I don't cry everytime the dog sheds all over the place like I would with a bimmer.

I think Subaru stopped making the Legacy wagon, though. Only the Outback now.

BMW makes a 3- and 5-series wagon. The S4 avant would be awesome, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I am a snob about my Boxster but am prepared to give it up. I do have a rack, but I find that it either takes forever to get the bike secured so that it doesn't damage itself or the car or the bike rack can damage the car. I do prefer not to drive a wagon and I did have Subarus when we lived in NH and we don't have dogs so that is not an issue. I love the TT with the bike strapped to it but I'm afraid that's not for me. I do prefer to transport the bike under my butt, but if I'm taking it to the shop, the 10 mile walk home gets old. I am going to look into a used 330i.
Thanks again,
DG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get a Cayman and find a roof rack!

I'm thinking of getting the 3-series coupe, which comes standard with fold down rear seats. No problem fitting a bike (or two) in there, and still pretty sporty. And, there's always the 3-series wagon too!

·
Registered
145 Posts
my solution

I have a truck that hauls 3 bikes in the bed with fork mounts and can cayrry another 3 0r 4 with the hitch rack

·
Registered
797 Posts
I get lots 'o bikes in my F-150

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.