Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I have spent 2 weeks chasing a clicking gremlin. In the past two weeks I have:
- pulled and regreased the crankset. Allso took the chainrings apart and greased the binding bolts.
- pulled and regreased my speedplay pedals
- lubed my cleats
- pulled and cleaned my seatpost (but didn't regrease as Seven's have a composite sleve. I also cleaned and regreased the binding collar.
- changed my chain, then stopped using my Wipperman link and used the Campy permalink. I also soaked the thing in home brew.
- pulled my saddle and greased the bolts on my Thomson post.
- Changed my wheels
- did a visual inspection for cracks on the frame. Found none.

The only thing I didn't do was pull the bars (although that may be next). I also should note that I purchased a use Campy Chorus rear derailleur, but other than I could hear the Wipperman link click this would not seem to be the cause.

What I have is a clicking sound that times with the crank on both sides at the top of the stroke.

What am I missing? I just got back from a ride and pulled the crankset apart again. I put my old non-MegaExo crankset and BB back on just to test it. That didn't seem to be the issue.

Campy fans...help me before I put my Shimano stuff back on!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea.

the bull said:
different shoes and pedals if you can.
I have another set of Zero's I can try. I also have a set of Looks lying around. I think I will give that a shot. Worth a try.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Try lubing your seat rails? This was a noise for me a couple years back, hard to track down.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
When does it click?

I just put a new bike together, and there's an annoying creak that I definitely pinned down to the bar/stem. It's a Ritchey, and I have heard people complain that they are creaky.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Search and destroy

It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, and torque it to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface, cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals), your seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails), your bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble) and your wheels (check for spoke tension, particularly on the rear non drive side, put a drop of lube where each pair of spokes cross, grease/tighten QRs, tighten cassette lock ring). Needless to say, you want to try these things in what seems like the most likely place the noise is coming from, but there are plenty of stories about "I was sure the noise was in the handlebars but it went away when I tightened up the spokes in the rear wheel," so keep trying different things until you have success.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all

The shoes/cleats was one place I had not been. Most of the other areas (thanks Kerry) I have tried. After a couple of rides my bike is going to be a mess from all the Tri-flow I have been squirting everywhere! (not to mention the liberal applications of Phil Wood grease to all the threaded parts!)

I have the Sidi's/Zero cleats coming apart tonight and new Spokeprep going on all the bolts.

If anyone in the ATL sees someone cussing on their bike because of the clicking, just ignore me!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I chased a click for months on my old frame. After doing everything you've done, I pulled the rear derailleur off and checked the hanger. 2 of the 3 screws were loose. I pulled them all, greased and re-installed. No more click...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Does the clicking stop when standing, that could confirm or eliminate a saddle related click. I did have a saddle that clicked at the front of the rails where they enter a plastic block. Silicone spray fixed that.

You said it clicks at the top of each pedal stroke. I recently had a click like that. I was cussing my Record crankset and BB. Turned out to be my car keys in the pocket of a vest that I wear only in cold weather. My knees were bouncing the keys around.

Are you sure that your bottom bracket was set with enough torque?

Loose spokes click but they wouldn't be in time with your pedal stroke.

Al

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
That's about the point where I'd shoot myself....

Everybody's covered everything I can think of with one exception, which isn't your problem because . . . well, it just isn't: I chased a nagging click one time for a week or 10 days, tore down everything I could get apart, greased everything. It would come and go, didn't happen when friends rode the bike, nobody could pinpoint it. Finally turned out to be the tip of the shoelace on my old (pre-clipless) shoes. If I didn't tuck it in securely, it would work loose and tick, tick, tick on the crankarm.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the ideas...

I have spent a little time each night working on different items. Had the Speedplay cleats and my Sidi's apart last night. New spokeprep on all the screws. Everything clean, lubed and back together.

I know it is not the saddle as I also got the clicking standing up and pedaling. That being said, this is a search and destroy mission. (or it will be until I calculate the cost of psych-analysis vs. new bike).

·
keep rubber side down
624 Posts
Stupid suggestion...

But as we are down to car keys and shoe laces, everything could help to save you sanity right?

I know you mentionned changing the wheels...

But I often have a stupid vibration or clicking sound when the little vise ring holding the tube valve is not well screwed. Worth a check?

Does your bike have a seat collar? Grease.
Do your shoes have loose extra bolts in their sole to accomodate different pedal system? fix that.

Does you chain have a displaced rivet?

Do you have a bent chainring teeth?

I'm out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
cthomas said:
I have spent a little time each night working on different items. Had the Speedplay cleats and my Sidi's apart last night. New spokeprep on all the screws. Everything clean, lubed and back together.

I know it is not the saddle as I also got the clicking standing up and pedaling. That being said, this is a search and destroy mission. (or it will be until I calculate the cost of psych-analysis vs. new bike).

Do you have a clamp on front der.? If so take it off and grease the frame - it might do the trick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cross your fingers...I think the cleats were the problem

Or more specifically, the Sidi adaptors for my Speedplays. As I noted above, I pulled the whole thing apart, cleaned everything, and put new spokeprep on all the bolts. I noticed when I took them off that the bolts had a little creak.

Anyway, I just took a quick tool around and it seems like this (in combination with everything else) has solved the problem.

I'll put a few miles on the rollers tomorrow and then give it the real test on Saturday.

Thanks! My sanity is gradually coming back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts