Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I recently started cycling about two months ago and purchased a Trek 1500 with full Ultegra components.

My first and only purchases so far have been:
Nike padded bike shorts
Nike bike shoes with carbon fiber soles
Shimano SPD pedals
Two Bottle holders
Cycle Computer
Gloves

Out of the items I have listed, what am I missing that will give me an either more comfortable ride, or better performance while staying around $300.

I was thinking some gel padded bar tape, and possibly a new saddle? What saddles are the hype right now that everyone would agree the most comfortable?

Or if there are other things, please let me know, I am open to all ideas!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Fizik Arione Wing Flex saddle seems to be very popular these days, I just ordered an imitation of it (Sette Sonic, because I'm poor) but haven't ridden on it yet.

II would also second the Helmet, Jersey, Pumps (both Floor and Frame), and of course tire levers and spare tubes

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Erroneous premise

What saddles are the hype right now that everyone would agree the most comfortable?
There may be hype, but there'll never be a saddle everyone agrees on. Anatomy varies too much. If a cheap saddle is comfortable for you, a fancy one that fits you poorly is not an upgrade. You shouldn't be thinking about changing saddles unless the one you've got is bothering you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCavilia said:
There may be hype, but there'll never be a saddle everyone agrees on. Anatomy varies too much. If a cheap saddle is comfortable for you, a fancy one that fits you poorly is not an upgrade. You shouldn't be thinking about changing saddles unless the one you've got is bothering you.

I realize this and understand no two "sit bones" are alike. Just figured there is a common consensus on a "comfortable" saddle.

My stock Bontrager saddle begins to become uncomfortable after the first 10 miles in a ride. That is my reason to possibly switch...

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
zach383z said:
I realize this and understand no two "sit bones" are alike. Just figured there is a common consensus on a "comfortable" saddle.

My stock Bontrager saddle begins to become uncomfortable after the first 10 miles in a ride. That is my reason to possibly switch...
Assuming you've ridden enough to start getting your bones toughened up, that's a good reason to be looking for a new saddle. But again, there's no such thing as a consensus on saddle comfort.

It can be a pain (or a series of pains) finding a saddle that suits you. Some shops have a tryout program, letting you use a saddle sample long enough to get a feel for it. You might ask around at your local shops. Good luck.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Where to buy helmet

If you haven't owned a helmet before, and aren't sure what model fits you, I strongly suggest you buy a helmet at a local bike store. You may pay a few bucks more, but you'll get something that fits. Heads and helmets vary in shape -- a lot.

You don't have to buy an expensive helmet to get protection, fit and style.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
zach383z said:

If your saddle is not satisfactory, this is absolutely the first thing you should spend money on. If you are happy with the Trek dealer that you bought the bike from, go there and try their other Bontrager saddles. Bontrager saddles come with a comfort guarantee, so if they don't work, you can try another or get your money back.

Otherwise, find another dealer that has a satisfaction guarantee. There are online sources that do, but look local too, because even with a good return policy, online/mail order experimenting will cost you return postage.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Glasses. Arm warmers, vest, jacket. Extra bottles. Tools. Base layer shirts. Extra pairs of shorts/socks/baselayer/jersey so you can ride without doing laundry every day.

There is no consensus on the best saddle because everyone's butt is different. Work with your dealer to get something better for yours.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
give it to me and I can follow you telling you to go faster. :p

you could start preparing for the wear:
a new tire to rotate in when your rear boxes out
spare chain - they can break with abuse
bar wrap to your liking (not hard to do decently)
more clothing
brake pads - many recommendations to be found for Swissstop and Kool Stop

I will say the new saddle thing is grounded. Granted I have a 1000 but I don't recall the saddles being all that different. Because of all the padding they put undue pressure on the perenium at any angle I tried. A seat post without graduations (teeth) can help to get the perfect saddle angle, but really your body can adjust to it either way. Are your handlebars wide enough for you? Does the shape of the handlebar suit you? That may be a piece to replace if it is uncomfortable, but fit and adaptation play a fair deal into that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.