Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPS lost my new Italian Masi April 2. It was last scanned at their Philadelphia Airport location, after clearing customs. I went thru all their hoops. They assigned a "specialist." She found nothing. They issued a tracer and found nothing. They said they looked, can't find it and essentially have closed the case. They told me to file a claim, which I did, but it was not insured. Anyone have any suggestions or know someone to contact at UPS. It seems impossible to get past the Customer Service Dept. I doubt that it was stolen from a secure airport station. It was declared at a low value. Thanks in Advance.Scott in MN.
Here is a link to detailed fotos April 3rd blog entry
http://sexyracebicycles.blogspot.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
You'll have to file a claim. I think every package has a default of $100 insurance. Most likely it was stolen somewhere along the line by an employee.

Always insure your packages for more than they're worth. That is if you want to be sure to get them or be able to replace them.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if you didn't ship the package, you don't have the claim. The person that shipped it has to file the claim.
 

·
It's not easy being green
Joined
·
314 Posts
How did you pay for the item? If it was a credit card, you could file a claim as item never received. I guarantee you that between customs and ups, an airport employee took it. You never signed for the item therefore the person/company needs to file the claim with UPS. Sorry for this but, its not your responsibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Your frame was probably stolen

Yikes. I had a friend that this exact same thing happened to, but the shipping company was FedEx. He didn't have insurance either and they wouldn't pay the claim because he didn't have insurance. I feel sorry for you. That looks like one helluva nice vintage bike.

It was probably stolen somewhere where the tracking information stopped, probably in Phailadelphia like you said. Philly has a huge fixed gear scene and I bet some employee did a record check and saw that you didn't have proper insurance. Most shipping companies don't investigate if there is no insurance because they are not liable for much. So, the guy probably figured that there was no way they could catch him. Unfortunately, some thief has probably made off with your bike and has converted it over to a tixed gear street bike. That's my guess. It's Philly and idiots there would do anything for a Masi with horizontal dropouts.
 

·
Baltic Scum
Joined
·
1,826 Posts
Not so sure about 'vintage'. That frame looks brand new. Then again, maybe it's NOS or a repaint.

Either way, joeeramone, that's a lovely frame. I truly feel your pain.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
No insurance, are you kidding me? That sucks! Even without insurance you need to file a claim but I doubt you will get what that is worth. Ask for a customer service rep but I don't see this coming out in your favor without insurance. I feel sick to my stomach about this, really.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't insure that. But we all make mistakes sometimes in life and I am sorry this was yours. In these tough times we have to be extra careful about others wanting to take things for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
used to buy a lot of high end paintball guns...seems more often than not they were "box destroyed contents missing" when shipped with ups.
 

·
la dolce vita
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
I feel for you, but shipping something uninsured is a lesson waiting to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Unfortunately, as the only party (shipper and receiver) you're not going to go too far. Insurance is an absolute necessity when shipping anything of value and you made a very poor choice in not doing so.

I don't believe that after the $100 indemnity, UPS has any contractual obligation to pay you for your loss.

Good learning for everyone else..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
thanks for nothing

I am sitting here waiting for a frameset to be delivered with in the next week.
With all the luck I am having lately.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
This happened to me when I bought a MTB on ebay. Shipper insured it for half the value because he shipped in 2 seperate boxes. Bottom line: he filed a claim and got his money then only refunded half of mine. I left him negative feedback but never fully recouped my losses. It took more than 4 months before I finally gave up. I hate buying expensive items from personal sellers on eBay now (but I still use 'em for tires and tubes)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
I feel your pain - UPS "lost" my entire bike, a Scott CR1 Team Issue loaded with top shelf components. How do you loose a huge bike box? Fortunately mine was insured, but not enough to cover a straight up replacement. I like how they didn't start looking for it until you asking why it has not been delivered. It seems to me they should start looking for any package that is not delivered on it scheduled date automatically. I'm still keeping an eye out for rider in all brown on my bike...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
It's stolen dude, time to start checking eBay and doing some undercover work

pigpen said:
thanks for nothing

I am sitting here waiting for a frameset to be delivered with in the next week.
With all the luck I am having lately.....


pigpen,
Why are you so distraught? It was joeeramone who had his Masi lost in shipment. :idea: Oh! Maybe pigpen = joeeramone. Oops! Did you forget to log out of your pigpen username and sign back on as joeeramone? Even so, I still feel sorry for you if you happened to lose this nice frame.

Let's just face it. It was stolen. I mean, come on. It's a Masi with horizontal dropouts, and no insurance!~ Some hoodlum in Philly has probably already converted your precious frame into a street fixed gear bike by now.
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
ahaid said:
This happened to me when I bought a MTB on ebay. Shipper insured it for half the value because he shipped in 2 seperate boxes. Bottom line: he filed a claim and got his money then only refunded half of mine. I left him negative feedback but never fully recouped my losses. It took more than 4 months before I finally gave up. I hate buying expensive items from personal sellers on eBay now (but I still use 'em for tires and tubes)
Did you use a credit card or did you let paypal draw directly from your bank account?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,452 Posts
rook said:
pigpen,
Why are you so distraught? It was joeeramone who had his Masi lost in shipment. :idea: Oh! Maybe pigpen = joeeramone. Oops! Did you forget to log out of your pigpen username and sign back on as joeeramone? Even so, I still feel sorry for you if you happened to lose this nice frame.

Let's just face it. It was stolen. I mean, come on. It's a Masi with horizontal dropouts, and no insurance!~ Some hoodlum in Philly has probably already converted your precious frame into a street fixed gear bike by now.
I see three possible scenerios.
1. You're detective work has unmasked a dual personality
2. You've mad an azz out of yourself because you misunderstood his intentions. He's eager for the frame, and reading another person's horror story has raised his anxiety.
3. You can pigpen are sharing a private joke.
Morbid curiosity has me eager to know the outcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
I see three possible scenerios.
1. You're detective work has unmasked a dual personality
2. You've mad an azz out of yourself because you misunderstood his intentions. He's eager for the frame, and reading another person's horror story has raised his anxiety.
3. You can pigpen are sharing a private joke.
Morbid curiosity has me eager to know the outcome.

Well, I can assure you that your scenario #3 is not it. I'm definitely not sharing a private joke with pigpen. I do feel for the person that has had this happen to them whether that is joeeramone or pigpen.

As for your other scenarios..
Your scenario 1) Yes. It could be scenario #1. Who knows. Maybe joeeramone = pigpen? If it is, then perhaps, the original person had a good reason to create a new username to post this story. Perhaps pigpen was forgetful about which user he was logged in as. I'm just going off of the strange reply given by pigpen in reply #14 of this thread where he laments for waiting over waiting a week because his frame hasn't arrived yet. Weird huh? Because it was actually joeeramone who initially posted about his missing frame of over a week ago.

Your scenario 2) Yes, I could have misinterpreted the situation and pigpen's reply. And if I'm the dumbass that messed up, so be it. I will readily come back here and admit that the case. However, how else though would one interpret the strangeness of pigpen's reply on this thread?
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top