Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying new wheels. I now have C Record/Open Pro/double butt,alloy same ol' same ol'
Want faster,lighter gooder.
180# in spring
Do not race but ride fast
Lots of climbing and fast twisty decents
Some long rides 70-120 miles and a double
Enjoys good pedal response
$800 or less

Here is what I see so far...
Ksyriums Bomb proof... maybe, but low cost to weight savings ratio
Campy Eurus Campy... maybe, but low cost to weight savings ratio
DT Swiss 240/RR/28 hole... under 1500gr...About right!

Did I miss anyone?
Thanks in advance for input.

towerscum

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went the DT Swiss route...

Have a new set from Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com. Just arrived yesterday and will be shortly in the garage putting them on the bike. Sweet wheels, and sure look great. Mike was also great to work with.

I am heavier than you and went the 32h route, but still these check in just over 1600g. I'm a clydesdale, so counting grams is a waste of my time, however I am impressed at the weight despite the sturdy build.

The DT hubs are SWEET. Can't wait to ride today.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Your wish is my command...

862g rear
DT 240s hub (Campy, of course)
3x drive side
2x non-drive side
Velocity Aerohead OC Rim

744g front
DT 240s hub
2x lacing
Velocity Aerohead rim

1,606g without skewers. Not too bad for clydesdale wheels. Look sharp, too. I am heading out to ride now (s/b 60 in the ATL today). I'll post an update post ride.

·
Registered
376 Posts
First ride is in...they are GREAT!

turned out to be a windy ride, but I was extremely impressed by the ride quality as well as how smooth the DT hubs roll. There were two times I was on a descent and realized I was going much faster than usual. One corner I had to check up as I went in too deep. The wheels are VERY solid.

I am extremely pleased. I need another less windy ride to get a real feel for them, but all in all these were well worth the money.

Sorry about the crappy pictures. I had to keep lowering the resolution to get them to post. Any tricks I should know? The original pictures from my digital camera are terrific, but when I reduced the size and pixels they looked terrible. Oh, well.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I went...

I went the DT Swiss route through Excel Sports. 28 front (2x), 32 rear (3x drive, 2x nondrive), alloy nipples, DT revolutions front and back, except for the heavier comps on the drive side. The set came out to 1480 grams. Front was 650 and the rear was 830. Now, Excel claims the weight of their "Swiss Threat" wheelset at 1416, though mine only differs in the drive side having slightly heavier spokes and 2x on the nondrive side. Not sure how that equates into a 64 gram difference.

Anyway, the wheels have been solid and I have been very happy with them. If you go through Excel, keep in mind that they use a "punch" to seat the spoke heads and sometimes the punch bounces off the spoke head and leaves a mark on the flange. You can request that they do not seat the spoke heads with a punch, but they will not honor their 30 day build warranty. They claim that if they do not use the punch to seat the spoke heads that they cannot guarantee the wheel will remain true. Given that I leave about 3,000 miles away from Excel, I was not going to spend the money in shipping for them to touch up a wheel if it went out of true in 30 days. I went the "no punch" route and the wheels have been fine for roughly 3,600 miles now.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
cthomas said:
Sorry about the crappy pictures. I had to keep lowering the resolution to get them to post. Any tricks I should know? The original pictures from my digital camera are terrific, but when I reduced the size and pixels they looked terrible. Oh, well.
Once happy w/ the way the piccies look (in terms of contrast, color, tonal range, sharpness, etc) resize 'em to 72ppi, and 600-800 pixels along the biggest dimension. When resizing, make sure to lock perspective so that the ratio of the dimensions is the same after resizing. It looks like the perspective is a bit funny in your pics. You also might just use the upload photo feature of RBR, that way each image is uploaded separately.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks. Let's try this again.

Here are the updated pictures.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey cthomas,
Just curious what spokes you used. Thanks for the pics. I recently just ordered a set of wheels from my LBS. Same hubs and rims as yours. I went with dt revolution spokes with the super comp spokes (same as Psydoc) on the drive side. 32 rear and 28 front (radial). They should look almost identical to yours. Don't know what they will weigh. Unfortunately the hubs are on back order.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mike was out of the Supercomps and I didn't want to wait

Revolutions are a little too light for me. I was going with DT competitions on the Rear DS, and Supercomps everywhere else. Problem was the Supercomps were on order and never came in. I was too impatient and had him substitute Wheelsmith DB 14s for the Supercomps. Still pretty light, but add about 10g per wheel over the Supercomps (but who's counting).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess I can expect my set to weigh between 1500 to 1600 grams. Like you said, who's counting though!! I mostly want reliablity and can't wait to feel how smooth the hubs should be. I hope I didn't go too light with the Revo's. I'm usually about 180-190 range, but not hard on wheels.
Enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I haven't seen 190 since Army Basic Training

Swift65 said:
Thanks for the info. I guess I can expect my set to weigh between 1500 to 1600 grams. Like you said, who's counting though!! I mostly want reliablity and can't wait to feel how smooth the hubs should be. I hope I didn't go too light with the Revo's. I'm usually about 180-190 range, but not hard on wheels.
Enjoy the ride!!
So I am not the expert on who is too heavy for Revos. The DT hubs are amazing. I ended up with some local racers riding today and was able to suck their wheels for about 10 miles until they dropped me on a climb. The setup also feels rock solid. I'm very pleased and I think you will be as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts