Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to start preparing for cx (Racing, if you want to be particular about semantics...) season!

So, I decided to start monkeying around w/ my bike and see if I could improve the rear brake at all - I bought a custom frame last fall that has one major issue - the brake stop in back is way too low, preventing me from setting up my brakes (Paul Touring) effectively - If I set up a nice, high straddle cable, the pinch bolt hits the brake stop before the pads hit the rim. If I set it up low enough to not hit the cable stop, I either have ineffective brakes and adequate rim clearance, or semi-effective brakes and <1mm rim clearance.

Eventually, I'll get the cable stop removed or relocated, but I don't know if that will happen for this fall... Here's where y'all come in - I need a workaround!

Here's some pics of the current setup:

This kludge seems to be working ok (held up to a 2.5 hr dirt road ride), but I'd like something a little less, well, kludge-y. I'm thinking about trying one of the seat-clamp mounted hangers, but am concerned that it may be to long, and that the pinch bolt may snag on the frame-mounted stop.

what about putting a second seatpost clamp up higher on the post, and using a hanger off of that? Other ideas?

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
jgrantv10 said:
Have you contacted your frame builder to complain? This seems like a pretty rookie mistake. I would call that unacceptable and ask for an expedited fix.
I got the impression he bought the frame used...if so, is it even a cross frame? If not, that would explain things.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stop will definitely be removed/replaced. It's just a question of when - I'm not sure that I trust the builder to fix it in time for cx season this year ('early september looks promising' turned into thanksgiving delivery...). If the original builder is unwilling to fix it on his dime, there's a local builder that may be able to do it for me.

Anybody know how long the seat-clamp mounted hangers are?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gripped said:
Hacksaw to remove the old one and a binder bolt clamp.
There's something just a little disconcerting about the thought of taking a hacksaw to a frame that was custom built for me.

But I'm definitely considering that option.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
There's something just a little disconcerting about the thought of taking a hacksaw to a frame that was custom built for me.

But I'm definitely considering that option.
Looks like a tough spot to get a hacksaw into cleanly. I would use a Dremel. Start with the cut-off wheel and then finish with sanding drums. Don't forge eye protection.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
There are a couple different kinds of post clamp hangers. You could always have one bent. It's not too hard - you just have to drill 3 holes, and a brake is aobut the 1st thing every machine shop or met fab shop buys.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jgrantv10 said:
Ahhh...

So it would seem he has a bad case of caveat emptor. I've had that. It burns a little.
Nope - custom built cx (almost race-only - one bottle cage, no rack/fender mounts), ordered by/for me.

This burns more than a little. But perhaps this illustrates a little bit of the reason why I'm less interested in sending it back to the original builder...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah, I can see why you might be reluctant, but it is just welding. A few points to advocate for sending it back:

- Principle: He/she really needs to make this come right for you and pronto
- Karma: People make mistakes. He/she would probably relish the chance to fix this.
- Probability and pride: They will be very cautious when fixing this and are not likely to screw it up.
- Finished product: Assuming they get it right, it won't be a kluge.

But I get your reluctance.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can fix it "For-now" with one of this little cable hangers made by suntour (ask a old school shop, I'm sure they will have some.)

Yes this time I'm using it for something very different.

Just inserted on the seat collar and hang the end of the cable from it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.