Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here.

Wanting to buy a road bike.

My inseam is 28.5 (measured with bare feet, against wall, used a book). I'm also 5' 6" tall.

I'm looking at either a 52 cm or 54 cm bike.

I have a used 97 trek in my sights and the frame is a 52cm but the standover height is 30 3/8 from the ground to top tube.

Will this bike fit me?

I don't want to waste the seller's time if i'm way off...otherwise I will meet with seller and test ride.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
no brainer...

The standover height should be 2-6cm less than your inseam, but I can't imagine your cycling inseam is only 28.5 inches or 72-73cm. It's measured to saddle-like crotch contact in bare feet.

The standover height you listed would be correct for most 54cm Treks, not a 52.

I'm 5'-6" tall, with long legs and my cycling inseam is 83cm.

If you legs are really short for your height, look into sloping TT frames.

·
Registered
576 Posts
5'6" 28.5" inseam.

50 cm virtual CTC x 52 cm TT with 100 mm stem, handlebar drop 5.5 cm.

Short legs, so watch the larger frames.

This is a start for a performance road position. Many variables.

Given short legs, compact would be nice.

I'd be looking at 650 wheels with interest.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Standover measurments have always been rather irrelevant in fitting bikes and the the inseam that most people say they have is actually shorter than the inseam measurement that is applicable to bikes. The standover height is not something that you need to concern yourself with in todays world of sloping top tube bikes. The measurement that is truly the most important is your torso length and arm length. If the bike is too small or too big you are going to feel it in your torso/back not your legs.
What works for someone who is your height will not work for you. Everyone has slightly different measurements. Someone who is 5'7 with long legs will not fit way as someone who is 5'7 with short legs.
The internet will not be able to fit you on your bike. You have to go to a bike shop and be fitted, and not by the high school kid there. It takes many years to learn to fit one properly on a bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the posts. Lots of things to consider and I appreciate them all. I do plan on going to a bike shop this weekend to sort more of these things out. I'll print this thread to take with me! :thumbsup:

I'm currently riding a Schwinn Super le tour from the early 1980's! I bought it for $75 two years ago. I've put over 1500 miles on it; trainer/road. My first road bike!

It's only a 6 speed in the back. It gets very uncomfortable after a two hour ride; mainly hands get tired and I'm always looking for a place to get comfort. Will the new bikes offer something for this? If not then I'll just stay with this bike.

It's measurements are:
Standover height (floor to top of top tube): ~31.25 inches; ~79cm
Top Tube lenght(center to center from seattube to headtube): ~22.5 inches; ~57cm
Quill stem(center to center): ~2.5 inches; ~63.5mm
Seat tube lenght(center of BB to center of top tube): ~21 inches; 53cm

No back pain, no leg pain. Just the nagging neck and shoulder pain after 2+ hours on the road bike; but I'm guessing this is just saddle time (or am I way off and a better fitting bike help make this go away?) I'm 39 years old.

I've always been in the frame of mind that "...what is comfortable is what works for me" from an MTB stand point! Does this go over to the road bike fit also?

I won't be racing the road bike. My plans/goals this year is to ride a half century and then a century. And I also want to get faster on the MTB. :D

Also, are carbon road forks the equivalent of suspension forks for road bikes? Do they make that much of a difference or is it just bling factor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C-40 said:
The standover height should be 2-6cm less than your inseam, but I can't imagine your cycling inseam is only 28.5 inches or 72-73cm. It's measured to saddle-like crotch contact in bare feet.

The standover height you listed would be correct for most 54cm Treks, not a 52.

I'm 5'-6" tall, with long legs and my cycling inseam is 83cm.

If you legs are really short for your height, look into sloping TT frames.
measured my inseam again and it's 29.5 inches; ~75cm. Oops :D

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
What is comfortable for you may not work for you. This is very true fitting bikes. What people perceive is the right fit in very often not the correct position on the bike. The vast majority of people who ride bikes, don't know how to ride bikes. Most people don't sit on their bikes correctly and have their saddles far too high. A great deal of money has been spent on human biomechanics on bicycles and there is a lot of scientific information on fitting. An experienced bike fit technician will be able to place you in the proper position on the bike , even though it will probably feel different then what you think is the proper position.
With mountain bikes fit is more forgiving as your bodies position is different on the mountain bike. But a good fit is still key.
As for your question on carbon fiber forks. Carbon forks are great not that they ride better, but are far lighter. Even an el junko carbon fiber fork will weigh around 600 grams. A super high end steel fork probably can't be any lighter than 850 grams. High end carbon forks are coming in at around 300 grams now. Its a weight thing. It won't make the bike ride any better or worse but you will notice the weight and stiffness of the carbon fork.
As I've said before the internet can't fit your bike for you. Even the online fit calculators don't do that great of a job as they can't take into account of all the variables that are in a persons body. Its far better to do a one on one with someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Enjoy the bike. After an exhaustive and detailed fitting I ended up with a 48Cm calfee with a 51.5TT. Had the head tube built up on the calfee and best fitted bike I ever road. I am about your height. You seem to be in the right ball park. ENJOY....:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
zooog said:
Enjoy the bike. After an exhaustive and detailed fitting I ended up with a 48Cm calfee with a 51.5TT. Had the head tube built up on the calfee and best fitted bike I ever road. I am about your height. You seem to be in the right ball park. ENJOY....:)
the lbs took care of me.

and thanks...i am enjoying. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.