Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit of a cross over post from the Bianchi forum but here goes.

I'm looking at a Bianchi San Jose. I normally ride a 54 but they only come in 52 or 55. The 52 standover is great but the cockpit is cramped as hell. The 55 feels somewhat better and probably could be made to fit with some simple adjustments to the reach and saddle height. However, the standover just is not there. The is maybe a full inch of clearance from bar to boys.

Should I just find another bike or does anyone have any suggestions to improve fit on either the 52 or 55?

BTW, I'm getting this bike just because I've been toying with a SS, not fixed, and the price is right.

thanks

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
you might consider another frame. the 52 has a virtual tt of 538 and the 55 has a virtual tt560. thats kind of a big gap. if your normal 54 had a 56 tt then you'll be in the ball park. if it had a 55 you might feel a bit stretched out. 1 cm doesn't sound like a lot but it is.

·
Registered
21,523 Posts
An inch not enough?

dpar said:
However, the standover just is not there. The is maybe a full inch of clearance from bar to boys.
Well, back in the day, and inch of standover clearance was considered just fine. If the bike fits in the top tube, then there's nothing wrong with "only" an inch of standover. That said, there's a reason most bikes come in 2 cm increments, and many are available in 1 cm increments.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You put much importance into standover height. I think the most important measurement is your top tube length and head angle, stem and stack height which affects both weight balance and how much stretch you have. If your torso is proportionately short compared to your legs then you may well be better fit with a bike with only an inch of standover clearance. I have a bike where I have less than a half inch of clearance but that is because I have an unusually short torso and arm length related to my leg length so I need a short top tube frame.

·
Registered
21,523 Posts
Backwards?

Insight Driver said:
I have a bike where I have less than a half inch of clearance but that is because I have an unusually short torso and arm length related to my leg length so I need a short top tube frame.
This seems backwards to me. If you have a short torso/arm and are riding a smaller frame to get a shorter top tube, then you would have MORE standover height, not less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts