Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about converting my old road colnago into a sort of cyclocross bike. I want to ride on the cobble stone city roads, a bit of fire roads and of course the smooth street. Problem is, my old italian bike has measurements uncommon to new road bike and also to any cyclocross frames (brake system, bb width, headset). So I am actually looking for an old road bike (my current bike is too large, another reason I want to set up a new rig) frame to fit me (5'5" 28" inseam) and be able to swap out all my old components. I think the most important thing for me to change would be the fork so the ride is a bit smoother. I was thinking of a good cyclocross type carbon fork on an old small roadie frame. That way I can keep my heaset and BB. and the drivetrain.

In finding a road frame I need to know what size my headset, BB and I suppose the fork tube length are. How do I measure these parts? I've seen parts for sale with measurements but I don't know what they mean. I imaginge they had a width measurement and a diameter measurement. How can I match these parts up with a new frame. As I said before, I want s smal frame that I can swap all my old components to and change the fork so I can ride more places than just smooth roads.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
flankwood said:
I posted earlier about converting my old road colnago into a sort of cyclocross bike. I want to ride on the cobble stone city roads, a bit of fire roads and of course the smooth street. Problem is, my old italian bike has measurements uncommon to new road bike and also to any cyclocross frames (brake system, bb width, headset). So I am actually looking for an old road bike (my current bike is too large, another reason I want to set up a new rig) frame to fit me (5'5" 28" inseam) and be able to swap out all my old components. I think the most important thing for me to change would be the fork so the ride is a bit smoother. I was thinking of a good cyclocross type carbon fork on an old small roadie frame. That way I can keep my heaset and BB. and the drivetrain.

In finding a road frame I need to know what size my headset, BB and I suppose the fork tube length are. How do I measure these parts? I've seen parts for sale with measurements but I don't know what they mean. I imaginge they had a width measurement and a diameter measurement. How can I match these parts up with a new frame. As I said before, I want s smal frame that I can swap all my old components to and change the fork so I can ride more places than just smooth roads.
You know, you might want to consider going to Sheldon Brown's website to help answer your questions. The answers you are looking for vary based on what parts you have and the vintage. Your road fork almost certainly won't have "cyclocross" tire clearance, etc.
Another thing- A vintage colnago is a collector's item. I would think twice about altering it or stripping parts. What year and model is it? What group is on it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is a ca 88'. I posted a pic in the colnago forum under flankwood. It's pink and white. It was a give away from a friend and I will surely keep the frame but I wanted to use the components on a new frame. All Dura Ace parts so I really couldn't afford to beat the quality on my current budget; even thougth the components are 20 yrs old. I just like the parts, craftsmanship, and good light weight steel frames. I'll check out old Sheldon. I love his site but I still don't understand how parts ae measured

·
yup
2,739 Posts
flankwood said:
The bike is a ca 88'. I posted a pic in the colnago forum under flankwood. It's pink and white. It was a give away from a friend and I will surely keep the frame but I wanted to use the components on a new frame. All Dura Ace parts so I really couldn't afford to beat the quality on my current budget; even thougth the components are 20 yrs old. I just like the parts, craftsmanship, and good light weight steel frames. I'll check out old Sheldon. I love his site but I still don't understand how parts ae measured
I actually have dura-ace 90 on an old bike of mine and it still shifts as well as the day I brought it home. It truly lived up to its namesake (durable and all....)
I thought Sheldon had some info on that but maybe I steered you wrong- I may be mixing up his site with another one, I will do some looking. OR someone else might know. The only thing I know is that since its a Colnago its going to have an ital BB, and it has a 1" threaded headset. If its the original BB, I would probalby just get a new one since most bikes have english threading, and leave the old BB in the colnago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.