Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Minoura bracket that allows me to mount a cage on my downtube, but I really hate it. The cage sits too far away from the tube, and it's not that sturdy. I think the Zefal Gizmo mount would present the same problem. I can't use my Profile Aquarack because I need my saddle bag.

I was thinkning about mounting a bottle to the saddle rail with this from Nashbar:

but I'm not sure it would work with my saddle bag (a medium sized velcro strapped one).

I think this would work:

but $26 shipped is more than I want to spend.

Does anyone use the Nashbar mount with a saddle bag? Any other ideas (besides rivnuts)?

·
Registered
330 Posts
stainless hose-clamps and a traditional cage. wrap the tube with some black tape or cloth bar tape to protect the finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do have one of the brackets from Nashbar - if you have a narrow saddlebag (like the Jandd mini tool bag) you may be able to use it with the bracket; I think it would depend on the width of the bag you are using.

craig

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I know this isn't the greatest idea but just to add a data point I just put a waterbottle in my middle pocket on my back. On my longer rides I just have to be careful and play my route around places I know I can refill which really isn't that tricky. With a big smile and some self-depreciating spandex humor most restaurant waitresses will let you fill your bottle.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I use a TwoFish mount/cage but I think it would present the same problems you mention for the Minoura. It holds the cage further away from the downtube than a normal mount. It doesn't bother me because I ride a 60cm frame with tons of room. Hose clamps with a regular cage would work as Maybeck said. I've used a camelback and a bottle in my jersey in the past but I prefer a frame mounted water bottle. I wouldn't like a seat mounted bottle, too much interference and difficulty in access. A stem mount could be kinda funky.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my Tri bike I used to run the profile aqa-rack with only one bottle cage mounted. I then had just enough space to keep a saddle bag next to it. I kept the bottle on the right and the bag on the left. You could set this up for FREE.

I've also done the hose clamp method more recently on my fixie. It's great for jaunty country rides!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
My lbs will put on bottle bosses for $20 a pr. Not cheap, but then it looks good.:)

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Second the hose clamps

Maybeck said:
stainless hose-clamps and a traditional cage. wrap the tube with some black tape or cloth bar tape to protect the finish.
It's not super pretty, but it saves you from having to drill anything, and it's cheap. I've got a pair on my SS and they work like a charm. I cut a few lengths of old tube to go under the hose clamps to protect the paint. Luckily my frame is black so the black tape doesn't stand out either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts