Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I've searched the net, including 3 different forums...and I feel more confused than when I started. I apologize profusely as I know this topic has been beaten to death...but I'm looking at doing an online order of a limited run on Castelli kit and I'm seeking guidance. I'm 5'9" and 140ish. 37" chest. 30" waist. 36" hips.

Aero Race Bibs with KISS pad. M or L? Assos Large bibs fit me well. I'm thinking L.

Jersey: All the order info states is Castelli "Team Jersey Covered Full Zip" style TA0255 (whatever that means. Google didn't help.). Aero Race 4.0 jersey is also an option, but I think I'd rather go with the team jersey. Voler race cut medium jerseys fit snug and feel great. Castelli Podium Collection Agnel SS Jersey size Large feels just a tad too baggy around the waist- good around the chest. I'm thinking M.

Thanks for any and all insight. Hopefully I won't be even more confused after this thread :p And again, I'm sorry for another damn sizing thread.

AAF

·
Registered
184 Posts
You will be happiest going large; medium is for European Male Anorexic Cyclists. Your measurements are close, but you just made it by a whisker. My 9 year old son might fit in a small, but it would be close.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My son is 150 5-11 and he fits in M just fine, waist is 32, chest 38. I'm 6-0 35 waist 44 chest and wear L and XXL. Note if you don't size right you won't get the fit you are paying for too big a pad, less compression.
Based on your measurements, I would definitely not go with an L, I'd take a shot a M and see what you think, you could actually fit a S based on hip and waist, depends on your thighs and how much the suspenders stretch.
Aeros are nice.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
I'm 5'7", 130 lbs, 29" waist

Castelli bib:

I wear Small for Aero bib. (Medium would be too loose for me.). Note: I prefer my bibs to be tight knowing that all bibs eventually will stretch after the break-in period.
I also wear size small for all other manufacturer's bib. But I think I'm lucky with my body sizing because it's a definte "small", not a "tweener"

Jersey:

Now this a little more tricky. I wear small almost for all jersey makes. BUT... sometimes for some models, I'm a medium. Jersey sizing for most makes are just not as consistent as their bib sizing. The important thing here is the "armpit-to-armpit" measurement. I have a 36.5" chest and 17.5" armpit and usually most "small" jerseys give me a perfect tight fit. However, sometimes I must size up to medium.

For your body measurements, I'd say you are a solid medium Castelli bib if you want a good snug (but not "Euro tight") fit. For jersey, a Castelli medium will be "Euro racing snug" for you, and a large will be looser relaxed fit. If it were me, I'd go medium because Castelli like most Italian stuff fit best when worn snug. Besides, when you're cycling, 80% you are sitting and pedaling in a static position, and you are not running around like a football/soccer player, so snug fit is preferred. Nothing worse than wearing a loose jersey to have it sag to your arse after you stuff in all the tools and food bars!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm seeing some interesting trends, I'll chalk it up to "vanity sizing" on "Off The Rack" clothing. If you go to the store and buy a pair of jeans/chinos with a waist of 36, the waist will actual be closer to a 38. My guess is most folks don't own a tape measure and they've never actually taken their measurements. Anyone looking for cycling clothing should really invest in a cloth tape measure and determine what their actual measurements are.

·
Proud luddite
7,270 Posts
Like the others have said, Castelli sizes do seem to run rather small. I just got a Castelli jersey, size large, and it was WAY too small....whereas with other brands the size large fits me fine or even can be a little bit too big. I exchanged the jersey for an extra-large and that one fits fine, and still on the snug side.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm 5'9" and 140ish. 37" chest. 30" waist. 36" hips.

Aero Race Bibs with KISS pad. M or L? Assos Large bibs fit me well. I'm thinking L.

AAF
Given your height/weight I can't believe you wear large Assos. Aren't the bib straps way long for you? Given we are similar height/weight I wear Assos in small but I suppose you may prefer looser fitting garments.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Given your height/weight I can't believe you wear large Assos. Aren't the bib straps way long for you? Given we are similar height/weight I wear Assos in small but I suppose you may prefer looser fitting garments.
Interesting..nope, they are nice and snug. And I have two pair of Assos Uno S5 bibs, both large- so it seems consistent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One thing to note is the aero jerseys are definitely smaller than the "regular" ones. I always take medium in the regular but large in the aero. I guess it depends on how snug you like your jersey but a medium Castelli Aero is REALLY snug on me (5'10" 140lb).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing to note is the aero jerseys are definitely smaller than the "regular" ones. I always take medium in the regular but large in the aero. I guess it depends on how snug you like your jersey but a medium Castelli Aero is REALLY snug on me (5'10" 140lb).
Def noteworthy. Thank you. I am planning to order the team jersey- I've seen the pros in the aero jerseys...don't think I need/want that type of compression when riding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own a few different jerseys, bibs and jackets from Castelli. All ordered online. In my experience, the sizing chart on their website has never steered me wrong. I use one of those soft tape measures that people use for sewing.

I will say, with some of there more "aero" or race oriented clothing, it fits a little snug when you first pull it on and walk around the house getting ready, but on the bike I totally forget it is there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
- Don't buy any shorts with Kiss3. They're crap. Padding is next to nothing. You might as well just put a dirty rag underneath your balls = Kiss3 padding. I like on how I can just easily weed out which Castelli shorts to buy.

Compared to other brands that have 5 chamois to choose from. It gets confusing i.e. Nalini

- If it's Aero-Race fit (same stuff that Garmin Sharp uses) = 2 sizes up

For your measurements I firmly believe you're a Medium for both. I'm 5'7, 153 at the moment with a 31-32 waist, 37-38 chest. My jersey size would be a Small for regular Castelli jerseys and a solid Medium for bibs ( I have thunder thighs).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.