Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, mounted a Shimano Ultegra cassette on the spindle, and immediately noticed the chain was contacting a (not-carbon bladed) spoke during wheel rotation. The chain is a SRAM PC1090.

This is the first time I've mounted a cassette so I'm wondering if this is an issue with my installation of the cassette or is it possibly a compatibility issue a SRAM chain? When I mounted the cassette there was a small silver washer that went on inside the first cog (between the cog and the inside of the spindle). I'm assuming the washer acts as a stop since without it there was zero room between the largest cog and the spokes. Can anyone help me out here with what I might check? Is it possible I need a slightly larger washer/stop (not sure what it's called)?

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
I can't say for sure but think I recall that you do need a different spacer when using a mavic hub. The spacer you used is for the Shimano hubs. Did any spacers come wih the wheel? I am sure someone on here will have the exact answer or just go to the LBS and see if they have such a spacer. Good luck.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
with a mavic wheel/shimano cassette combo, you need the MAVIC spacer and the SHIMANO spacer. the mavic spacer is thicker and slight larger in o.d., the shimano spacer is the little thin one that come w/ the cassette. mavic spacer first, then the shimano one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts