Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past 14 years I have routinely commuted to work on my bike - it's put me in the right mental place fpr work (and getting home) and has provided fitness and base miles for rides on the weekend

long story on the job side (it's all good) - but my schedule is now very irregular and while I have an office, it is mainly for my business card - I either work from home or am in meetings where cycle commuting is not possible - I am the most cycling unfit I've been in a long time

is it possible to build a commute in to working at home? do I arbitrarily suit up, head out and put in the equivalent of a ride to and from the office (20-30 miles)? how do I do it?

I'd be grateful for your tips, suggestion and advice

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Most days I ride to a cafe for a Cappuccino and work on my laptop for an hour or two. Favorite is 8 miles away so works well on a city bike and gives me 16 miles r/t. Usually about 45 minutes each way.

Some number of days each month I do a 25 - 40 mile training type ride on my road bike either alone or with a local club. This varies though depending on schedule so might be 4 one week and none the next two weeks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I like the idea of riding to a cafe.

Beyond that, screw commuting. Just hop on the bike and do a training ride! I'd love that sort of freedom in the morning. I have to get up at 5am to sneak a ride in before my normal commute. It would be nice to head out at 6, and get back at 8. Shower, and be eating breakfast in front of the laptop well before 9. Or take a lunch ride later in the day. After work rides usually suck because I don't leave the office until 7, not home until 8. If I were already home at quitting time, I'd have gobs of time to ride.

Now that I think about it....how is your situation a problem? Just ride, man!!!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
We sort of ran into the same issue when we retired; our regular commute to start and end the day went away and we weren't sure how to deal with the loss.

What we do now is get up early each and every morning seven days a week and head out for an hour or more before the rest our the day starts. We feel good about getting something in every morning and we never worry about fitting exercise into our day.

I suppose if it fit your schedule better you could ride every evening but we have found that things come up during the day that make regular evening exercise a bit harder to schedule.

BTW we love being retired!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I have a hard time going for a "real" ride and then going to work. But, life changes and one adjusts.

I like to do workouts either to break up a day of studying (working on a degree right now) or at the end of the day. I just choose a time to try to fit 'em in, and go do it.

Riding not as a commute is fun. I don't need to carry a bag. :) Anyway, experiment a little with scheduling, and then just try to be consistent. Get your ride in every day at whatever time works for you. Enjoy the freedom. I don't know what your specific work-at-home situation is, but it seems like for a lot of people, as long as they're producing, nobody cares all that much when.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I am retired as well... and the best days start with an early morning ride. Then a coffee stop at starbucks on the way home. A snack or breakfast... and a hot shower.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Just pick a time of day that mostly fits your schedule and go out and ride.

Plenty of cyclists don't commute but still make time to ride their bikes. Before working or after. Probably will miss a day or two in a week but that can be made up on another day, or not.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My work schedule due to meetings and such sometimes prevents me from riding. I probably average riding 4 days a week, maybe slightly more.

When I work remotely for part of the day I'll often ride to a coffee shop and work there. It's a nice change of pace for me and good for setting up informal meetings too.

When I do drive I try to work in at least a bit of a walk before starting work. Not as good as a ride by something. I also use those evenings to do bicycle errands or a ride if I have time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
WFH is the best way to get in a ride. I normally work from the office, but days when I want to get in a ride, I will WFH and ride before work. My drive is about 45 minutes to work, so I only have to get up a few minutes earlier than normal to get a decent ride in. As long as I am home by 830 or so, I can be ready to go for any 9am meetings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.