Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding an older scwhinn 564 with many newer parts, the bike has recently started making a creaking noise when pedaling and it gets worse when I am really cranking up hills. The bottom bracket, chain and freewheel all have less than 600 miles on them as well as the rear freehub, which has even less. Today I tightened the crank arm bolts and greased my seatpost and front derailer clamp, still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have any of you had a similar problem, the noise tends to get very annoying when riding for an extended period of time. Thanks for you time. Terry

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get the same creaking nose, almost like a chain rubbing...haven't looked into it that hard yet...it seems to be only when applying significant pressure going up hill and in my toughest gear. Odd, would like to hear the responses. Like I said though, mine is more of a sound like rubbing chain, than a squeak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is good to hear that I am not alone. Mine is not much of a squeak either, not sure what it is, I know that chain rub that you are talking about, but it is really hard to tell when I am pedaling up a hill and trying to look down to locate the noise, I haven't had any luck pin pointing the it yet, but it seems to be coming from the drive train area.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I found that i had the same problem on my mtb i eventually found the squeek in the not loose but not tight enough quick release

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am having a similar problem on my Specialized Alllez Comp. I have been through everything and no luck. I even put flat pedals on to see if they were the problem. I stopped into my LBS and they said that it is not unheard of to heard small creaks on aluminum frames. They said that a few years ago Canondale was known for "noisy" frames. You might be chasing a ghost. Lube everything, literally to makes sure it isn't just a little bit of old age on the bike that is casuing the noise.

Make sure you check the major welds and if you see any cracks or the paint starting to chip then you have a larger problem.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Oh no, The dreaded creak returns

tpeterson said:
I am currently riding an older scwhinn 564 with many newer parts, the bike has recently started making a creaking noise when pedaling and it gets worse when I am really cranking up hills. The bottom bracket, chain and freewheel all have less than 600 miles on them as well as the rear freehub, which has even less. Today I tightened the crank arm bolts and greased my seatpost and front derailer clamp, still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions, or have any of you had a similar problem, the noise tends to get very annoying when riding for an extended period of time. Thanks for you time. Terry
This is one of those problems that shows up here every several days. Do yourself a big favor and use the search function just up the page a bit, not at the top. Search for creak
And you will get a rather long list of items to check. Solutions vary greatly, and can be quite elusive. Some may require multiple trips to the LBS, if you do not have the required tools. Be persistent and thorough and you will get that awful sound out of there.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
tpeterson said:

I had a similar problem as that before. An annoying 'creak' that would'nt go away, no matter what I tried. I even overhauled my clipless pedals, thinking that was it. Checked everything, chain, cassette, crank arms and rings, only for it to persist yet again. Finally made my bike an appointment with the bike shop doctor for the following Saturday. Took it in early and waited out in the waiting room, reading bike books. About an hour later doctor came out with my bike and I could tell by the smile on the headtube it was all well again. He explained the problem was that my bottom bracket cup had "backed itself out" just enough to cause it to creak. He overhauled it and adjusted everything, and it has'nt came back in 3000 miles.

gotta love your bike doc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Grinding noise

Mine was having the same problem as well. They stated everything vibrates through the bottom bracket no matter where the actual problem is coming from. My problem turned out to be the rear hub was bone dry and needed grease to lubricate the metal and metal contact. That would have been the last thing I would checked lol. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.