Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, changed FD/RD on road bike and BB/Cranksets on both cross and road bikes. Got the DA SS RD dialed in. But both FD's (105) are a little off. I put a compact 50/34 crankset on the road bike and a 46/36 FSA on the cross bike. Now they are both positioned correctly, checked it 3 times. Then I moved the H-L appropriately. Now, the road bike shifts down to the 34 quite well, but has a delay with some grinding before shifting up to the 50 tooth, you also have to really push on the STI lever to get it to move....Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Starting over

physasst said:
Help, changed FD/RD on road bike and BB/Cranksets on both cross and road bikes. Got the DA SS RD dialed in. But both FD's (105) are a little off. I put a compact 50/34 crankset on the road bike and a 46/36 FSA on the cross bike. Now they are both positioned correctly, checked it 3 times. Then I moved the H-L appropriately. Now, the road bike shifts down to the 34 quite well, but has a delay with some grinding before shifting up to the 50 tooth, you also have to really push on the STI lever to get it to move....Any suggestions?
It sounds like you may not have shifted the lever all the way to the lowest position before you attached the cable. Another possibility is to rotate the derailleur slightly - the range of positions is typically between having the outer cage parallel to the chain rings and having the inner cage parallel. Obviously, you can try tweaking the cable adjusters as a starting point. Are you sure that you have the high limit screw far enough out to allow the cage to shift the chain fully to the large ring?

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
This is 50/34 shifting. It is a compact specific (don't think so) FD?

Kerry is on the right track, set it to overshift on the upshift another mm so that you get a cleaner upshift.

Then, buy a campagnolo left-hand ergolever so that you can trim it down 1 click without dropping to the 34 again :p

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
physasst said:
If you are using a double front dérailleur, it may have a hard time lifting the chain across the 16T difference on the 50/34. They weren't really designed for that. A good fix, if you want to spend the money, is either to buy a triple front dérailleur or a compact dérailleur. I think you could find a good used 105 triple front dérailleur pretty cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.