Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a complete beginner looking to invest in a bicycle and need some help. I've been poking around this forum for a couple weeks now to try and understand some of the basics. Most of the things I've read have been helpful and I think I may have come across a bicycle that would suit my needs, is within my budget and is aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. I'm looking to maybe get a second opinion on the bicycle, hear some pros and cons about it and also any recommendations on a different bike that is around the same price with similar, if not better, features. Thanks for the help!

Trek Madone 2.1 $1,250.00 usd

Trek Madone 2.1 - Bicycle Discovery Inc.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
It's a good bike with good components to last.

Are you 100% sure you want a Madone? Have you test rode a more relaxed geometry Domane yet? Granted the Domane 2.0 for the same price, gets a tier down components (10-speed Tiagra)...

Real friendly people at the Bike Discovery in Fountain Valley. Very tiny shop though. Unfortunately, they are next to a Performance Bike.

Also, if you want to look at Specialized bikes.... there is Surf City Cyclery in Huntington Beach.

CHeck out the Allez (vs Madone) and Secteur (vs Domane).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm a bit of a Specialized fanboy but that is a nice bike. The only thing I could see that I would change out is the cassette...which is a Tiagra...I'd change it out to a 105 which is a smoother riding cassette. I actually have current Tiagra, 105 and Ultegra cassettes on different wheels and the difference between the Tiagra and 105 is actually pretty big...the 105 and Ultegra? Not nearly as much.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Along the lines of what's been offered above, make sure the Trek represents the bike that'll best suite your needs, short and long term. IMO, the geo splits the difference between race and relaxed (taller HT, but pretty much race geo), but if you haven't already done so, ride some other makes/ models, just to experience the differences.

Nothing against the 2.1 because I think it's a solid package, but as a noob, I think you'd do fine dropping down to a Tiagra (10 speed) equipped bike. Remember, besides the bike itself, as a complete noob you'll need a number of other items (helmet, apparel, pedals, shoes, saddle bag...) which can add up quickly. And Tiagra isn't going to limit you or hold you back.

Some other makes/ models to look at... Jamis Ventura's, Specialized Allez/ Secteur, Giant TCR's/ Defy, Bianchi Imola (steel) and Via Nirone, among others.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Checkout the REI website first, before pulling the trigger! Take a good look at the Raleigh Revenio Carbon 1.0 (size 56cm only), the Novara Trenta, and the Scott CR 1, and The Raleigh Revenio 3. All under $1300. Plus you get that awesome warranty, too! Also , you can't beat the chromoly steel GT Corsa 1.0 (w/Tiagra Gruppo) deal at your friendly neighborhood GT bicycle shop, either!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.