Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this frame and looking to build it up. I have a fork and wheels. Here lies my dilemma. I have a fsa crankset so I could get some red shifters/force deraillers. I also could go with a centaur group and leave the fsa crank on my existing bike. Price wise the two options are pretty close.
If it makes a difference, I am coming from 8 speed 105.
Any ideas?
Thanks

· Registered
3,863 Posts
Centaur is nice with the new carbon ultra torque cranks. One disadvantage is you can only shift one gear at a time. So if you are approaching a small hill and want to keep in the big ring but just dump it down three gears you have to click one gear at a time. I don't know if this would be a problem. I have Chorus on my new bike and I'm very happy with it.

Nice frame.

G

·
Dinosaur said:
Centaur is nice with the new carbon ultra torque cranks. One disadvantage is you can only shift one gear at a time. So if you are approaching a small hill and want to keep in the big ring but just dump it down three gears you have to click one gear at a time. I don't know if this would be a problem.

It's not.

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Tonis_t said:
If you have wheels, then are the rear one for shimano or campy? I would base my choices according to this.
why? I've never had a problem running 10spd shimano wheels with a campy setup. Not sure about vis-versa

I vote Centaur drivetrain and Chorus or Record Shifters.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some Mike Garcia wheels setup for Shimano. I was going to get an American Classic cassette. I don't have a 10speed cassette anyway.
As far as the ability to dump multiple gears, I don't have any experience with that so I don't think I would miss it.
Thanks

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ride 1997 vintage 8 speed 105. It has done me well this past decade but it is time to move on. This will stay as my "beater bike".

I'm thinking centaur on an Italian frame makes everything right with the world.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.