Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at Ritcheys now I'm looking at the Hed Alps. I hear they are strong fast and a great climber. Pretty light wheels compared to other clinchers in that price range and more. Are they good allround wheels to own for TT's, races and Triathlons. Any input would be appreciated. I would like to keep the price in the range of the Alps.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Kabooby said:
I have looked at Ritcheys now I'm looking at the Hed Alps. I hear they are strong fast and a great climber. Pretty light wheels compared to other clinchers in that price range and more. Are they good allround wheels to own for TT's, races and Triathlons. Any input would be appreciated. I would like to keep the price in the range of the Alps.
What is your budget? I don't know that Heds are selling for these days.

-Eric

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I sold miy Alps. The quality control left a little something to be desired, and after owning them, I was convinced that carbon clinchers were a bad idea. If you go carbon, might as well go all the way.

All around? They have a deep enough rim that you won't like them in a strong crosswind.

Kabooby said:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Up to $1,200, I am also looking at another bike thus have to keep it low for the wheels otherwise I may have to save more and purchase a better pair in the future. But I would like a pair for this summer.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I too am looking at a set of hed alps, i like a alum rim with carbon fairing (sp?) for the stiffness and piece of mind thay provide, but are there better options out there? in about that budget.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have asked around and a few people have suggested the Ritcheys wcs, they are a Zipp 404 wheel (undimpled) and have a Ritchey hub. The previous hubs they used had a re-call but the new ones are meant to be very good. A friend of mine who is a mechanic and races prefers the Ritchey hub to the Zipp. Ritcheys are a little more than the Hed Alps by about $200 I think.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks kabooby i had heard that the old hubs were not so good, and have been waiting for the word on the new hubs. something to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.