Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
On the non drive side of the bottom bracket, it's stamped "Z". I'm thinking that means 1985 build date and the frame appearance is similar to my 85 Pro bike. On the drive side it looks like I see a 2 which usually would mean the last digit of the frame size meaning a 52cm frame. That looks like a small frame to me and could possibily be a 52?
On that same drive side, look carefully for any other numbers and or letters. That is the side of the bottom bracket that usually contains the model designation of the frame. Sometimes it's pretty hard to see. On my frame, I actually didn't notice a stamped "P" until I had stripped the frame (which I'm not asking, just mentioning that sometimes it's hard to see).
Check below to view where I am getting this information. Also I see a Columbus sticker on it but can't read it. What does it say? SL? SLX? something else? The fact that the drive chain stay is chromed is helpful also.
EDIT: I'm gonna guess that's had a repaint also so the Columbus logo could be anything really. It's missing a few standard decals (Made in Belgium on down tube and a image logo on the seat tube) The dropouts have too much paint on them for a 20+ year old frame and even if it's not 20 years old, it's still got a few miles on it. The fork logo's are not painted as typically they are. All the Merckx cast in logs's are usually detailed with different paint color.

Eddy Merckx Serial Numbers

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's in the 83-84 timeframe.. is it SL or SLX? the 84 SLX was Blue and White, I remember almost getting that one.. the BB frame gussets were a nice touch. Love that bike!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info. The collector has several of these re conditioned bikes he wants to trade me for some current models. Any idea what this particular bike is worth since it is reconditioned and not with original stickers? I would like to work something out but don't want to get duped.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Any idea what this particular bike is worth since it is reconditioned and not with original stickers? I would like to work something out but don't want to get duped.
Check "completed" auctions on eBay for an estimate - and make sure that the frame actually sold, not just the price that was asked. It seems like Merckx with the flat crown forks tend to sell for a bit more. Components matter, and size matters (a 52cm frame will have less demand than a 56cm frame as fewer people fit it).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you want a price, I would say in the neighborhood of $800.00 as is IMO.
It's a Merckx (+) a lot of Merckx collectors out there
it's complete (-) complete bikes sell for less then the parts almost always
it's got a new paint job (+) nuf said
it's got decals on it(+) Looks good and authentic from a distance
it doesn't appear to have either a complete decal set or possibly it's the incorrect set (-) important to collectors, this will limit their interest IMO
chrome chain stay means it's probably not the bottem end model (+) collectors will note this, others just looking for a nice bike probably won't notice the significance

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
no way in hell that is early 80s merckx
fork is wrong and cables are going under the BB

early 80s flat crown fork with one type of Merckx Logo, later mid 80s flat crown different Merckx Logo
That bike looks late 80s to early 90s to me

this is early 80s Merckx

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
details

of Early Merckx, mine is transitional from 1st Type to 2nd type
First Gen had different Logo (Script) on top of fork crown
note cable routing over the BB

my estimate on mine is 81-83 (guessing 82)

the new fork started in 85, so that is as early as yours can be
Z was an 85 number but those don't always go correct
by my letter / number my bike is dated as 90s

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I can't tell what the forks look like (flat or sloped like mine) but the bottom bracket looks exactly like my 1985 753 Professional model. Everything else looks just like my 85 model also that I can tell. The pictures are a little fuzzy and as I said I really can't tell what the shape of the fork crowns are like. Mine are sloped

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Fork looks sloped

I can't tell what the forks look like (flat or sloped like mine) but the bottom bracket looks exactly like my 1985 753 Professional model. Everything else looks just like my 85 model also that I can tell. The pictures are a little fuzzy and as I said I really can't tell what the shape of the fork crowns are like. Mine are sloped
I say 85 is a safe guess based on the (sometimes reliable) serial info.

BB shell looks mid to late 80s

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
So the obvious question is, "What sizes does this collector have in his EM reconditioned frame inventory?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts