Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time mt. biker, and new road rider. I am set with my bike, but I wanted to build a bike for my girlfriend that is an extreme beginner. Nowhere near getting her on dirt. Since I have a lot of mt bike parts laying around the garage, would a flat bar road bike made up of the following work:

road frame/fork
road wheels (upgrade for me on the way :D )
road brakes
mt. brake levers
completely mountain drivetrain (the gearing would actually be better for her)

I'll do a search, but the wheels currently have a 10-spd shimano cassette. would a 9-spd mt. cassette fit on it?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
grrrah said:
I am a long time mt. biker, and new road rider. I am set with my bike, but I wanted to build a bike for my girlfriend that is an extreme beginner. Nowhere near getting her on dirt. Since I have a lot of mt bike parts laying around the garage, would a flat bar road bike made up of the following work:

road frame/fork
road wheels (upgrade for me on the way :D )
road brakes
mt. brake levers
completely mountain drivetrain (the gearing would actually be better for her)

I'll do a search, but the wheels currently have a 10-spd shimano cassette. would a 9-spd mt. cassette fit on it?
The MTB levers pull more cable than road levers meaning that the brakes would engage quickly with more hand strength required. A cross frame with V-brakes would be a better solution. An old pair of canti MTB brake levers would also work (pulls less cable).

The Shimano-9 (MTB or Rd.) will fit on the hub as long as it is not a DA-10 hub.

I built a similar thing for my wife when she was starting except that it was a cross/touring frame and I used Ultegra for the front drive train. She loved it.

TF

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. I think I will just look for canti-levers or flat bar road levers (is there such a thing?).

other than the frame/fork, the only things I need to get are the brake levers and a bottom pull front der.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts