Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you install a rear wheel on an old bike where the drop out are unequal. Everytime I put it into place it doesn't sit flush on both sides. I don't know if its something with the derailer or what but I need to know how to put the rear wheel back on.

(Yea I'm probably a bit dumb) Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other info

This bike is a Fuji Royale, it had a spacer on the derailer side of the frame. I wanted to know if it should have one on both sides? And if possible is it ok to ride without the spacers, because it is no longler in a bind without a spacer.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It's difficult to tell exactly what your complaint is

If you mean that the wheel isn't centered at the brake or around the bottom bracket, it could be that the wheel isn't dished correctly.

If there are extra spacers on the axle on the freewheel side, this may have been done to give clearance for the smallest cog to the dropout/chainstay.

These are the only functionally important things. If there is more distance from the dropout to the non-drive side of the hub than the drive side, that is normal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a royal blue Fuji Royale back in the early eighties. It had only one spacer on the drive side to set the axle location in the dropout. Im not sure why they didnt put another one on the other side. I took the spacer off eventually just to make it look cleaner but it sure did make centering the rear wheel a pain. As for putting the wheel back, make sure you shift the front and rear derailleurs down to the smallest cogs to take as much tension off the chain as possible. That should help with centering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dropout adjustment screws

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but if you're not talking about wheel dish, but rather, that the wheel isn't straight, move the adjustment screws at the back of the dropout so that the wheel centers properly when you put it in. If the screws are missing, you can get new ones for just a couple of dollars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Suntour dropouts on the Royale did not have threaded holes for adjuster screws. Thats what the spacer Rum Runner1 described was for.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
How do you install a rear wheel on an old bike where the drop out are unequal. Everytime I put it into place it doesn't sit flush on both sides. I don't know if its something with the derailer or what but I need to know how to put the rear wheel back on.

(Yea I'm probably a bit dumb) Thanks
Is the wheel quick release or nutted? Quick release wheels are easy - Just line them up centered and close the QR lever. Nutted wheels are a bit trickier. You need to develop the touch. I used to carry a wrench around when I rode my Fuji Sports 12. When I flatted, I developed the technique for torquing the nuts back on one at a time. I figured out how far the bolts would move during torquing and initially place them so's they'd end up in the right place. It took some finesse.

On a nutted wheel, it is a bit easier if you torque both left and right nuts and the same time. The wheel seems to move a bit less.

But, if you do have a nutted rear wheel, your best bet is to replace the solid axle with a QR setup. You will thank yourself repeatedly if you do.

Good luck!

FBB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts