Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help; I’m torn between the following two bikes. I presently weigh in at 181 and working hard to get down to 170 –175.

Felt 2006 F3c
http://www.feltracing.com/06/06_bikes/f3c/

Recently rode one at my lbs and like it very much. Very responsive and cant find anything I don’t like. I know it does not have a full DA group but that is something I can live with until I get the upgrade urge.

Specialized Allez Expert Double http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13012&bikeTab=features

Also rode this at another lbs and again like it very much. Very responsive too and did not notice a difference between this bike with a full Ultegra and the Felt almost DA group.

I’m leaning towards the Allez mostly because of the price; I can spend the difference on other goodies. But the Allez frame only has a 5-year warranty on it. Should I bee concerned about the warranty? Any one have any complaints about these two bikes or there companies support and warranty? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
The Specialized is $2300 and so the Felt is more? Depends what you want, but there is no way I'd pay that kind of money for an off the rack bike, especially something with a thin-tubed AL frame with a lame warranty. Or maybe these bikes are heavily discounted? But an Ultegra group is $600 on eBay, add hand built wheels and some other bits and pieces and you'll still have well over $1000 for a frameset. Colorado Cyclist is blowing out a very nice Douglas ti frame with a Reynolds fork for $900 right now. Retail on a Gunnar Roadie frame is $725. Check the thread on "Steel frames for under $1k" for more ideas, or GVHbikes as is often mentioned. Just my $.01...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
about warranties...

Most manufacturers have wised up. You can't ride a frame until it breaks and expect a free replacement. "Lifetime" warranties generally cover defects in material and workmanship only. If the paint falls off, you might get a repair. If the frame cracks, most likely it will be considered the result of normal fatigue failure, which is NOT covered by warranty. Naturally, if you wreck the bike and damage it, no warranty will cover that.

From Felt:

THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER
• Any damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the results of fatigue. It is the owner’s responsibility to inspect his or her bicycle before each and every ride.

• Any damage, failure or loss caused by abuse, neglect, improper repair, improper maintenance, alteration, modification, failure to follow instructions or warnings in owner’s manual, an accident or other abnormal, excessive, or improper use, including, but not limited to, stunt riding, ramp jumping, acrobatics or other similar activities, or in any other manner for which the bicycle was not designed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts