Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, first post.

I am looking for guidance on my next bike purchase. I've currently been training on a buddy's Trek, and I now feel that it's time to upgrade to my own bike.

I'm 34, 6'1, 210lbs. I'm no stranger to the bike, as I've logged many miles on the Trek as well as my MTB.

At a recent visit to my local bike shop, I fell in love with both the S2, and the S5. After a few test drives, I decided the S5 suited me best. Prior to completing the purchase, I spotted a Focus, hanging up on the rack. Upon closer inspection, I realized it is a 2012 Focus Izalco Team 1.0. This is actually an exact replica of the Team Katusha bike, complete with SRAM Red, and carbon everything.

The Focus was offered to me at $3600 out the door, and we all know the stock S5 with Rival components, is $3800 without tax.

I know this forum is a bit biased, but any insight on which direction would be appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If the Focus is being offered by a dealer, complete with a warranty, then get the Focus......What are you waiting for?...Leave right now!!! :D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yes my LBS is a Focus dealer.
I don't quite understand the indecision. Seems pretty clear cut to me, or am I missing something. If I'm not mistaken, that Focus Izalco Team 1.0, cost close to double that amount at one time...Right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't quite understand the indecision. Seems pretty clear cut to me, or am I missing something. If I'm not mistaken, that Focus Izalco Team 1.0, cost close to double that amount at one time...Right?
Yes, $8,800 is the tag that's still on it.

I'm just not all that familiar with Focus as a brand. Are they good bikes? I like the fact that Cervelo has a lifetime warranty on their frames, and that I can easily turn the bike into a Tri setup should I ever go that route. But I also know that with the Red, and carbon bits, I'm getting a lot of bike for my money. Heck, the Focus even has 2 carbon bottle cages already.

As far as looks, the S5 is sexy, and it's an aero bike. The Focus with the Katusha paint is.. Meh.

Im just so torn.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

I'm just not all that familiar with Focus as a brand. Are they good bikes? I like the fact that Cervelo has a lifetime warranty on their frames, and that I can easily turn the bike into a Tri setup should I ever go that route. But I also know that with the Red, and carbon bits, I'm getting a lot of bike for my money. Heck, the Focus even has 2 carbon bottle cages already.

As far as looks, the S5 is sexy, and it's an aero bike. The Focus with the Katusha paint is.. Meh.

Im just so torn.
Purely from a business standpoint, you could potentially profit quite a bit from a quick turnover or resale. OTOH, if the business angle doesn't excite you, then who prefers "Meh" to "Sexy"? Just get whatever you want to ride and forget about it! I think it's kinda like dating. Only date the girl who turns you on the most! Who cares about how rich she is?

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Which one fits you better?

Which one did you like when you took it for a test ride?

If the Focus is the one--buy it.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
The problem for some of us is that Focus is sold by Nashbar and such... which "destroys likeability"

Anyways, personally I never really liked Cervelo, so I'd buy the Focus. I mean seriously, the Rival to Red upgrade itself is like another grand easy.

·
Insomniac Lurker
48 Posts
I know this forum is a bit biased, but any insight on which direction would be appreciated.
I am not sure which way the forum is biased, but I will admit I am biased, and have always wanted a Cervelo.

That being said, after doing the cost and component comparison with fit being equal, I would grab the Focus in a second.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I have never really paid attention to Focus bikes and I did not know they were that expensive. Cervelo enjoys a great name with their engineering marketing and all of their success in triathlons over the years. Ride both back to back and buy the one you love the most.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have riden both and the Cervelo feels a bit too stiff for me, if I bought one I would really need need to find a seatpost that could flex at my weight. Stiff is fast but not for all day comfort.

The Focus felt amazing and had an all day ride quality yet was very racy in the set up I had tried.

As said, take them out for a ride.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

Im just so torn.
Wait a minute! On one hand, the Cervelo is "Sexy", but OTOH, the Focus is just "Meh", and somehow you remain "torn" ....I'm sorry, but I just don't get it! To me, "Meh" means you ain't that excited about it. Now, if you mean weighing the potential profit from resale against scoring the bike of your dreams, then yeah, I could understand being "torn" in that situation. However, not for long, because I would always go by my heart!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The problem for some of us is that Focus is sold by Nashbar and such... which "destroys likeability"

Anyways, personally I never really liked Cervelo, so I'd buy the Focus. I mean seriously, the Rival to Red upgrade itself is like another grand easy.
Focus was never sold by Nashbar... only Performance. That relationship ended in 2011, with some models sold in 2012 at Closeout. Focus realized it was a bad call, but it did get their 'foot in the door' of the US market.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.