Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I order my new road race bike (04 Specialized Allez Comp) in a month or so I also plan to get new shoes and pedals. I do not want to use the current road bike shoes and pedals, pedals are Shimano M515s, and shoes are Answer Products Speeder. Yes, I was one of Them for 2003; I had gotten the bike for training for MTB, well I ended up riding and racing the road more then the MTB. Therefore, it is time to upgrade and modernize my feet for the road. The LBS who has not steered me wrong yet is recommending the below shoes and pedals:

Sidi Genius shoes, or
Specialized Carbon Pro Road shoes (I am leaning towards these ones)
Look A5.1 pedals

I have read the online reviews on road bike review; all three were good (even with only a few [the MTB stuff on MTBR always seems to have a lot more reviews for products…]). Anyways, do any of you folks race or ride with the above pedals and/or shoes? How do you like them? What do you dislike (if anything)?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Fit..

lexington476 said:
When I order my new road race bike (04 Specialized Allez Comp) in a month or so I also plan to get new shoes and pedals. I do not want to use the current road bike shoes and pedals, pedals are Shimano M515s, and shoes are Answer Products Speeder. Yes, I was one of Them for 2003; I had gotten the bike for training for MTB, well I ended up riding and racing the road more then the MTB. Therefore, it is time to upgrade and modernize my feet for the road. The LBS who has not steered me wrong yet is recommending the below shoes and pedals:

Sidi Genius shoes, or
Specialized Carbon Pro Road shoes (I am leaning towards these ones)
Look A5.1 pedals

I have read the online reviews on road bike review; all three were good (even with only a few [the MTB stuff on MTBR always seems to have a lot more reviews for products…]). Anyways, do any of you folks race or ride with the above pedals and/or shoes? How do you like them? What do you dislike (if anything)?
........................................................................................................
Hard to say, you probably can't go wrong with either shoe. I buy my shoes by how they fit, I usually try on a whole bunch of shoes at once and go with the one's that feel best, followed by price. I see a lot of guys that use Sidi's, they are a narrow shoe. Fit is important, as it's your major contact point with your bike. If you can try on both shoes, go with the one's that fit best. Durability is a factor also, some shoes last a season, some last a couple. Carbon shoes have stiffer soles, they are lighter and well, too much stuff to think about...I just go with how they feel....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have heard a lot of positve reviews on the shimano SPD-SL. If I had the $$$$ to buy the new shoes and pedal combo thats what I would sink the cash into. Good Luck.:D

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
If the fit is the same go with the carbon soles

I've got a pair of look shoes with real carbon soles and love them. They are stiff enough to hammer nails and super light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts