Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Shimano SPD's for my fixie, they're just the cheapie $45 jobbers.. all I need. Anyway, i've got em nice and tigh like I like them, but my cleat still kind of moves around in them. It's not like it is lose at all, it's not grinding or anything, but it just moves side to side pretty fluidly. I don't really like this, it makes me feel like I'm not too secure when clipped in. Is there any way to fix this? because it is so fluid, I'm assuming it's something that can be adjusted, and I'm asking a total noob question. :eek: Thanks,

joe

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
I bought some Shimano SPD's for my fixie, they're just the cheapie $45 jobbers.. all I need. Anyway, i've got em nice and tigh like I like them, but my cleat still kind of moves around in them. It's not like it is lose at all, it's not grinding or anything, but it just moves side to side pretty fluidly. I don't really like this, it makes me feel like I'm not too secure when clipped in. Is there any way to fix this? because it is so fluid, I'm assuming it's something that can be adjusted, and I'm asking a total noob question. :eek: Thanks,
joe
That just sounds like float to me. SPDs are supposed to have some float--allowing your foot to move a little--and as far as I know it's not adjustable. You're probably feeling it particularly well because they're new and everything's smooth and clean.

I can see how this might worry you, but it doesn't sound like anything's wrong. I'd suggest trying them for a little while in less-than-critical situations and see if you get used to them, or if you find you're getting accidental releases. You might put them on your geared bike for testing, since coming unclipped on one isn't quite the hazard it is on a brakeless fixie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts