Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a nice 07 Roubaix S works frame on ebay and did not consider the fact that it had the S Works specific crankset bottom bracket. Anyone have an idea on how a Sram Force or Red crankset can be fitted? Any adapters, etc available? Any ideas appreciated. The price of the S Works crankset/bb is prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Maybe my answer wasn't clear enough. Yes, there is an insert/adapter available from Specialized for making their BB30-type bottom bracket shell compatible with SRAM, Dura-Ace, etc. bottom brackets. You'll need to talk to a dealer. Also, if you're wondering, the full S-Works bikes and modules for '07 & '08 came with a BB30 shell. Frame-sets only came/come with normal, threaded BB shells.

I spent about 3 seconds searching this forum and found:

Specialized makes a sleave available for around $20 that allows you to remove their cranks, extract the bearings and C clip retainers, and install conventional cranks and BB. It is basically a black aluminum threaded sleave with 2 steal bearings that slides in and is tightened down by the new BB cups. Be aware that these sleaves are ITALIAN threaded,and thus need the appropriate Italian threaded BB. I've been using this setup for months with no problems......

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=124302&highlight=BB30

also:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=135468&highlight=BB30

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Too bad the adapter isn't available at the online store. I checked and couldn't find it.

I live in a rural area the couple of small Specialized dealers were no help.
I would imagine smaller, low volume Specialized shops wouldn't be familiar with it, but any S-Works shop will know. Maybe contact Specialized directly, get a part number, and have your local shop order it for you? As long as they have a part #, they should be able to do it.

Good luck.

·
\m/
150 Posts
Roadrider22 said:
Thanks, now I understand. I live in a rural area the couple of small Specialized dealers were no help. Sounds like I need to get in touch with a large dealer and get the adapter and an Italian BB.

I feel your pain, I live in a small town too and have to deal with this type of stuff too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.