Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding some generic Bontrager saddle, it's overpadded and I hate it, so I want a better saddle. I've looked at and ridden the Fizik Arione, but wanted to know what peoples opinions were of it, and other saddles, and how they stacked up.
Thanks!
-estone2

· Registered
102 Posts
Let me be the first to tell you that a saddle that is comfortable is a "better" saddle. Becareful swapping out saddles if you have one that works. The weight that you will save is less than you think and you will have to break in the new one. I would wait until yours wears out then make the switch.
There are plenty of great saddles out there and if you are set on getting a new one, you really shouldn't be asking people what they think. You should goto your LBS and try a few different ones. They should let you ride them and test each one. I chased a few saddle recommendations from friends and I quickly found out that not everyones rear end is the same.

Good luck!

· Could be faster
282 Posts
i recently switched over to a Fizik Aliante Gamma on one my bike and a Specialized BG Toupe on the other bike. The Aliante, though looks quite well padded, doesn't feel like it - the padding is quite firm and hasn't caused any hotspots so far. The Toupe, on the other hand, is a minimalist saddle (minimal padding and very light) that I have found to be very comfortable - far more comfortable than the Aliante. It's pretty much a saddle that i can easily sit on for many hours over many km. I would have bought two Toupe saddles if they weren't so expensive.

YMMV

boon

· Registered
157 Posts
Positioning and shape of a saddle are far more important than padding. I had lotds of problems early season trying to find a saddle that was comfy and tried all the usual suggestions (which by the way i felt were terrible) and ended up with an old SLR i have lying around that has no padding at all. Butt shape is very different from one person to another. Try lots. Once you found one your happy with dont swap it out in the hope you might save a few ounces on a lighter one.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Lots of good saddles out there. Some of those Fizik saddles look very nice I see, as with Selle Italia and Selle San Marco. The best saddle for you is really going to be up to you. Personally, I think the 'Fizik' saddles are some of the most gorgeous saddles I ever seen. The red "Arione' I saw would look absolutely fantastic with the wheels I have on my bike, but I dont know if I could trust it. The Selle Italia "Turbomatic 3" I still have looked good on my bike too, but was only good for 30-40 miles before saddle sores would develope. A few years ago my son and I rode our bikes to my mom's house 32 miles away over Christmas (and 32 miles back) and the Selle Italia liked to have killed me. It was agonizing pain for the last 10 miles back, like I was sitting on a lit cigarette. But despite it all, we had a very epic ride together. My baby son was with me, fresh out of the Army's 82nd Airborne unit, and I was a happy man.

About a year ago, after hours of research, I sprung for a Brooks "Team Pro" saddle to try and find comfort on some of my long rides. The saddle was hard as a rock, and thick, and did'nt look as good as the Fizik, but at that point it was'nt about looks. The Brooks "Pro" assassinated my saddle sore problems. I dont mean it "skirted around" the problem, or helped alleviate the problem,......"it killed the problem. But that was just for me.

Today, my "Team Pro" has mellowed out after 2000 miles into a silky smooth chocolate color, and is "effectively" and quite "decisively"......the most comfortable saddle I ever ridden

so you may want to look into that. :)

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Are you male or female? I think men can't give good advice on women's saddles, and vice versa. As a female rider (who also rides with a lot of other women) I do have thoughts but they won't help you if you are a guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.