Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to purchase my first road bike although I have ridden quite a bit, even a few centuries on loaners. I am 5 10 180lbs. Here is my dilema, I want to ride my new bike to work, and for that I need something that will really climb well as the road to my work climbs 7 switchbacks and 2500 feet over 9 miles. But, I am loving the long ride scene and enjoy the century or multi-day ride experience too. So I guess what I'm saying is I need something that can climb like a billy goat but is comfy and sturdy enough for long hauls. My budget is in the $1k-2k range. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Gearing is going to be key. You should probably have a compact crank or a triple. As this is going to be a commuter it should be pretty tough and comfortable with mounts for fenders. I would go for a surly. They are on the heavy side but have a super smooth ride. In all honesty you could ride anything with the right gearing, but that would be my vote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.