Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of DMT Ultimax shoes on ebay because they seemed like a great price and I am very happy with my existing pair of DMT Ultimax RSX shoes. The ad said they come with a "SPD Adapter" plate, however the plate as you can see below has Look drilling plus old-style cleat drilling. I am using Look Delta cleats. Do I need a different adapter? Do I just stick that adapter in there and mount the Look cleat over it? That would seem to add a lot of extra thickness. Any help is appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,663 Posts
SPD adaptor

DaveG said:
I picked up a pair of DMT Ultimax shoes on ebay because they seemed like a great price and I am very happy with my existing pair of DMT Ultimax RSX shoes. The ad said they come with a "SPD Adapter" plate, however the plate as you can see below has Look drilling plus old-style cleat drilling. I am using Look Delta cleats. Do I need a different adapter? Do I just stick that adapter in there and mount the Look cleat over it? That would seem to add a lot of extra thickness. Any help is appreciated
The adaptor in your picture will allow your shoes to be used with the 2-bolt SPD mountain bike cleat. The adaptor plate has three holes so that you can bolt it to a standard road shoe, which are already drilled for 3-bolt cleats. Your shoes are likewise drilled for 3-bolt cleats, and so will work fine with the Look Delta cleats without any adaptor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately not quite that easy

Kerry Irons said:
The adaptor in your picture will allow your shoes to be used with the 2-bolt SPD mountain bike cleat. The adaptor plate has three holes so that you can bolt it to a standard road shoe, which are already drilled for 3-bolt cleats. Your shoes are likewise drilled for 3-bolt cleats, and so will work fine with the Look Delta cleats without any adaptor.
Yes, the drilling is there for 3-bolt Look but the recess into which the adapter plate fits is too narrow to allow a Look cleat to fit flat. I thought about grinding down the sides to allow it to fit but that seems awfully drastic. Its hard to belive that someone would make a shoe that requires an adapter for the most popular pedal bolt pattern
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,663 Posts
Trim something

DaveG said:
Yes, the drilling is there for 3-bolt Look but the recess into which the adapter plate fits is too narrow to allow a Look cleat to fit flat. I thought about grinding down the sides to allow it to fit but that seems awfully drastic. Its hard to belive that someone would make a shoe that requires an adapter for the most popular pedal bolt pattern
Yes, I missed that the shoe has a recessed zone. I had a pair of shoes like that, and I trimmed a bit of the sole so that the cleat would fit without using the adapter. I reduced stack height significantly (Time brand shoes) and never experienced any problems because of my grinding off some of the sole. I used the shoes for 33,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe I am OK

Kerry Irons said:
Yes, I missed that the shoe has a recessed zone. I had a pair of shoes like that, and I trimmed a bit of the sole so that the cleat would fit without using the adapter. I reduced stack height significantly (Time brand shoes) and never experienced any problems because of my grinding off some of the sole. I used the shoes for 33,000 miles.
Thanks for the feedback. I set them up tonight using the adapter and a Look cleat. My original concern was the issue you raised - stack height. After setting it all up the difference was not a great as I feared and appeared about the same as my setup with my existing DMT RSX shoes (which don't use an adapter but do have a raised center ridge on the sole). I will try them first with the adapter plate and see if I can notice any difference. I want to be able to interchange the shoes without having to modify saddle height. If not I think I can grind down the edge in the couple of places the prevent the cleat from going in the recess. I have to assume the recess ridge does not provide any structural strength to the shoe sole
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top