Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the difference between the Pro and NonPro 5.2 other than the crank and cassette?

Speaking of which, because I am a noob, what is the difference between the two?

Were there any major changes / upgrades between 2007 and 2008 that I should be concerned about?

Thanks!

P.S. When would be a good time to look for used 2008 bikes, and where should I look?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
1) the Performance fit has a 30mm taller Head Tube which gives a more upright and relaxed ride, as opposed to the Pro fit. The 2008 Pro fit is similar in geometries to last years Madone frames.

2) That being said, as to the differences between the 2007 and the 2008 frames.... Uhm, to put it simply and bluntly, forget Trek ever made a road bike before 2008, the new frames are not comparable to prior year offerings. That is a bit unfair, as the pre'08 Madones are absolutely fantastic bike's. It's just that the '08s are very very different.

HTH
zac

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
To get a better deal on a current Madone might mean waiting until the next generation model is on the horizon. These are selling for full pop everywhere. A dealer would have to be less than smart to reduce his price on these.

On the pro vs. performance fit discussion, try not to think of the performance fit version as a comfort/easy ride sort of thing, it's more a way for guys with long legs and short torsos to arrive at a good fit without using a totem pole's worth of headset spacers or riser stems. The frames are exactly the same from a construction standpoint.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Misleading..

davidka said:
On the pro vs. performance fit discussion, try not to think of the performance fit version as a comfort/easy ride sort of thing, it's more a way for guys with long legs and short torsos to arrive at a good fit without using a totem pole's worth of headset spacers or riser stems.
The facts don't bear this out. Long legs? The geo of the pro and performance are exactly the same except for the 3 cm longer HT's on the performance, so saddle height is exactly the same. Short torso? The measurements that change reach (STA, HTA and effective TT) are the same for pro and performance versions, so the additional HT length only helps to raise bar height (the equivalent of 3 cm's of spacers) and changes reach by a few millimeters.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes, the saddle height is the same. The handlebar height is not the same. If a rider's long legs require a high saddle height, the handlebars must be higher too. This is just as important and has just as big an effect on reach as length.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
davidka said:
Yes, the saddle height is the same. The handlebar height is not the same. If a rider's long legs require a high saddle height, the handlebars must be higher too. This is just as important and has just as big an effect on reach as length.
You're confusing frame stack with frame reach. If you put the same rider on (as an example) a 54 cm performance or a 54 cm pro, the saddle height is exactly the same. All else being equal, the bars (as you point out) will be about 3 cm's higher on the performance because of the HT length (frame stack), BUT the reach only changes by 8 mm's (< 1/3") between the two - hardly a fix for cyclists with short torso's.

Check out Trek's geo charts if you question my numbers.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I am not confusing anything. Bar height (stack as you call it) is just as important a component to reach as length is (horizontal length is not the only consideration). The point I am making is that with performance fit a rider can have a higher bar height without sacrificing any other aspect of the Madone's performance.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
davidka said:
I am not confusing anything. Bar height (stack as you call it) is just as important a component to reach as length is (horizontal length is not the only consideration). The point I am making is that with performance fit a rider can have a higher bar height without sacrificing any other aspect of the Madone's performance.
If the bolded section was the only statement made, you'd be correct, but mentioning reach along with a remark that (paraphrasing) performance fit is for long legs/ short torso's is wrong. To someone with a short torso, the horizontal length is of primary importance. Bar height relates more to fitness/ flexibility.

Again, reach changes by 8 mm's on a 54. No fix for short torso's and certainly not a sole reason to purchase the performance fit. There are WSD's and natural fit's for that purpose.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So with the pro I will be reaching farther down because the head tube is shorter? Is 30mm really that much of a change to inflict discomfort? One of my goals with the new bike is to be able to go on a long ride next summer (1 week or more) with 100-200 miles days.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
jsedlak said:
So with the pro I will be reaching farther down because the head tube is shorter? Is 30mm really that much of a change to inflict discomfort? One of my goals with the new bike is to be able to go on a long ride next summer (1 week or more) with 100-200 miles days.
All else being equal, your saddle to bar drop will be about 3 cm's lower on the pro fit versus the performance fit. Whether or not the 3 cm's is much of a change to inflict comfort depends on many factors, primarily you flexibility/ fitness level. A good guideline would be to take some measurements off your current set up, compare to a new Madone, and go from there.

Don't forget that there are options available to minimize the 3 cm change - like using stems with higher rise.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
PJ352 said:
If the bolded section was the only statement made, you'd be correct, but mentioning reach along with a remark that (paraphrasing) performance fit is for long legs/ short torso's is wrong. To someone with a short torso, the horizontal length is of primary importance. Bar height relates more to fitness/ flexibility.
No, I am not wrong. I never said that performance fit was for any specific body type, I only suggested that it was of benefit for that body type. If you change the fit of a person's bike by lowering their handlebar 30mm and ask them to describe the change they will tell you that the reach to the handlebar is less comfortable (assuming that they were happy with the fit of their bike before). Long legs/short torso requires a frame that allows a high saddle and h-bar height without a longer top tube. The 30mm taller head tube achieves this over the pro geometry for people with that build.

jsedlak, yes you will find the handlebar to be lower on the Pro fit than the performance fit. That may be better or worse depending on your preference.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
davidka said:
No, I am not wrong. I never said that performance fit was for any specific body type, I only suggested that it was of benefit for that body type.
And you were wrong for suggesting that.

davidka said:
If you change the fit of a person's bike by lowering their handlebar 30mm and ask them to describe the change they will tell you that the reach to the handlebar is less comfortable (assuming that they were happy with the fit of their bike before).
First of all, that's pure conjecture, second of all if they did mention reach, they'd be describing the change in their words, it would still be a change in frame stack.

davidka said:
Long legs/short torso requires a frame that allows a high saddle and h-bar height without a longer top tube. The 30mm taller head tube achieves this over the pro geometry for people with that build.
Correctly stated - Long legs/ short torso require the appropriate saddle height, proportionately shorter TT and saddle to bar drop that is comfortable for that individual. The 3 cm's in additional HT length on the performance series allows for a relatively higher bar while using less spacers.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
08Madone5.2 said:
If you buy a Performance version, you can always duplicate the Pro's stem height by removing the spacers. You will get more flexibility in terms of finding what's comfortable for you with the Performance version.
Somewhat, but not totally. If you removed all the spacers from the performance you would have hit its limit, while the shorter HT on the pro would always allow a lower limit (all else being equal).

·
Registered
81 Posts
As has been said, I think the issue with considering the two fits is about saddle to bar drop (and color :) ). I have long legs for my height and went with the Performance fit. I have never been particularly flexible even though I am pretty fit, and I do have some lower back issues that I had to consider. With my saddle height, I could still get about an 8cm drop to the bars if I removed all the spacers, even more if I changed the conical one too. Still, whatever your saddle height, you'll always be able to get more drop from the Pro fit.

Since Trek also significantly lengthened the headtube on (what is now) the Pro fit for 2008, I think the choice is less of an issue than it could have been. Just keep in mind that if you are not particularly long legged, you may not be able to get as much drop as is ideal for you with the Performance version - and again that also depends somewhat on your fitness, personal comfort, riding style, etc.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Falling Snow said:
Since Trek also significantly lengthened the headtube on (what is now) the Pro fit for 2008, I think the choice is less of an issue than it could have been..
The lengths of the older bike and newer (Pro) bike are different on paper but they are actually the same. The old bike's headtube figure does not take into account the headset, the new bike has an internal headset.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.