Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2K6 54cm allez, it has stock rims but armadillo tires that the bike shop said where way to WIDE for the bike but thats how I bought it. so I was on the bay thinking about getting some tires and wasn't sure what to buy,, not sure if tubeless, clincher, ect would work with my rims..

can someone tell me what tire is the best for someone 200lbs and just cruising/light touring type stuff for weight loss and fitness, this year my focus is much longer rides and I was told that better High performance or lighter tires will get flats easier and I should stick with the armadillos (though the ones I have on now are the wrong diameter) and I could if its recommended. as for Flats I do plan on getting an under seat micro pack for a patch kit, levers and multi tool so i can deal with flats..

·
Pitts Pilot
430 Posts
Well, there are a million answers to this.

True, that the lighter you get, the more prone to flats. It's all a balance. You also want a nice ride quality. Only you can decide which side to error on. There are plenty of really nice riding tires that few would call prone to flats.

The wider your tires are, the more comfort you will have. I doubt that your current tires are "too wide" if they are clearing the frame. You might want to post the size of your current tire to help others respond.

I would urge your toward a 25mm tire at least. Others may disagree. Conti GP4000s are well regarded. (4-season and gatorskins are more durable at the expense of ride quality.) I currently am loving the Mich. Pro 4. These are all pretty expensive. You'll have to give folks more to go on in order to make a recommendation.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Seem like categorizing thread is becoming a common theme as of late.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would recommend continental GP 4 seasons, I have ridden many thousands of miles over varied surfaces/conditions and have not had any problems. I had ridden Armadillos in the past and I found them to be very harsh riding compared to the 4 seasons. The GP 4000s are also nice and could fit your needs well but they tend to be more race oriented lighter weight, less flat protection but for that type of tire they are very well regarded for durabilty. I have not ridden the Pro 4 so I can not comment on those. For me as a recreational cyclist nothing ruins a ride more than a flat. i do all of my own repairs so it is not the fixing, but I value my ride time and my shop time but I do not like the two to mix! Also as a rider that goes 230lbs I would encourage you to ride with tire width in the 25-28c range as was previously suggested. You will be able to inflate them to a lower pressure which will improve ride quality/comfort especially over rougher road surfaces but not so low that you get pinch flats. I am not familiar with your frame but I find it hard to understand tires are too wide for it unless they are rubbing against it! I would think 25's should fit. Pitts is correct that these tires mentioned are on the higher end of the spectrum cost wise but IMO are worth it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
Expensive tires won't make you "faster".

700x25mm tires should be good for what you weigh. Since you plan to do mostly cruising/light touring , you could even go with a 28mm tire in back. Armadillos should prevent most flats, unless you like to slam into potholes.

·
Super Moderator
41,369 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey everyone 1st I apologize for not posting this in the tire section, I havent been here in a year and I'm stilljust getting used to the site, so trust me I'll take full advantage of the different forums here.. but where the mods didn't move this thread I'll just answer here..

I checked my bike over the weekend and it has the armadillo "all season" (I think it said) and they are 700x25's they don't rub but up in the forks its not much of a gap between the tire and the inside of the fork,,, do any of you know a good pressure I should keep these based on my weight.

thanks for all the posts now with the size here if you guys think they are OK I'll move on what Shoes and Pedals to get in the appropriate forum,, Ted in Mass

·
Registered
313 Posts
@tajue17, 25mm tires inflated to max pressure should do the trick for you. as to tire selection, well that's a subject worthy of its own forum :D

One thing to consider would be the road conditions where you ride. you need toughness, you can do armadillos or conti 4 Seasons. However, a good all rounder would be the Continental GP 4000s.

That said, im looking forward to trying the Pro Optimum as recommended by locustfist.

Happy (tire) hunting!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
700x25/ 200 pounds = 95-100 front........100-110 max rear.

If you like to hit potholes, you could go up to 115 in back. Any more than that is just overkill.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info on the tires that I'll need to look into.. I'l let the thread drop because its in the wrong place and start something in the tire forum if I have any thing else.. T

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Do your tires drag on your fork crown, stays, bridges, or front derailleur cable?

No?

They're not too wide.

I have a soft spot for fancy tires myself. I don't think they make me significantly faster, however. I like the way they feel, which is a little different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.