Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at upgrading a couple of things on my felt road bike. Currently I have FSA compact Carbon Pro Team Issue cranks (50/34), with the megaexo bottom bracket. My chainrings are in need of replacement as the teeth are wearing down unevenly and cause slippage on steep climbs. I replaced the cassette with a new Shimano Ultegra cassette on both my training and race wheels. So, the first thing I need to do is replace the two chainrings. Does anyone have a good source for replacement chainrings from FSA? I also have looked at the newer ceramic BB's from megaexo, but noticed the VCRC ceramic versions are offered. Is their a definitive difference between the two BB's? Also, would I need the 8200 model? I am using the Ultegra 6600 series for shifters/derailers, calipers and wanted to make sure I used something that was compatible. Does anyone have any ideas of what to upgrade next? I have upgraded to ROL Race SL wheels and combined them with a new set of Michelin ProRace 3 clincher tires, swapped out to a Specialized Toupe Team saddle, swapped the Shimano brake pads to Kool-stops. Thanks in advance.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
How many miles do you have on your chain and chainrings? You usually can get thousands of miles without issues on the chainrings. Same mileage with a chain if you keep it lubed right. I don't know where to replace the rings off the top of my head.
For bottom brackets, get the VCRC over the mega exo. Or get a Shimano BB.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Are you sure you have FSA Carbon pro team issue cranks and a Mega-Exo (external) BB? The Carbon pro team issue cranks aren't integrated BB cranks, they are (were) either ISIS or Octalink non-integrated BBs.

You can order FSA chainrings for those cranks at various places on line. But any 110mm BCD chainrings will work. I just got some Sram chainrings for my carbon pro team issue cranks. It took two years of 7500 miles/year to wear the chainrings down enough to make them "worn", but they don't let the chain slip, they are just a little noisy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took some pics to verify what I have currently on my bike. If someone knows exactly what they are, I would appreciate the help. Thanks in advance. The first few pics are of the crankset and BB, the last few are of the larger chainring and the teeth being filed down and yet some are still longer, you can see the difference. Only about 2k on the bike. Also, does anyone know if the BB is English threaded? and the weighth by looking at it?

Cranks FSA Carbon Pro

Crank to Megaexo BB

Megaexo BB Left side

Megaexo BB Drive side

Larger FSA 50t chainring

Larger FSA 50t chainring

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
English threaded. No clue on weight, but it does look like your chain is dry. Do you run cross-chained a bit? How often do you lube your chain? 2000 miles isn't much at all for a chainring.
I looked at the pics, and your chainrings look fine. Clean and lube your chain, check for chain stretch. You might just need a clean/lube, and at worst a new chain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply, I was inquiring about the BB width either 68 or 73mm, sorry on that one. Also, the chain was replaced at my LBS about 300 miles ago, maybe stretched? I only had one occurance where my chain has come off since the new chain went on. So, with it being english threaded and Shimano and FSA being compatible, would I be ok with a shimano 10 VCRC bottom bracket w/ceramic bearings or would the megoexo bb8200 ceramic red anodized one work best with my current setup? You spoke of lubing the chain, is there a preferred lube over another that everyone recommends? Thanks in advance, sorry for all the questions, I really enjoy riding on this thing and I want to continue on this bike as long as possible.

·
Registered
21,664 Posts
Chainrings not worn

heavyhitter said:
Thanks for the prompt reply, I was inquiring about the BB width either 68 or 73mm, sorry on that one. Also, the chain was replaced at my LBS about 300 miles ago, maybe stretched? I only had one occurance where my chain has come off since the new chain went on. So, with it being english threaded and Shimano and FSA being compatible, would I be ok with a shimano 10 VCRC bottom bracket w/ceramic bearings or would the megoexo bb8200 ceramic red anodized one work best with my current setup? You spoke of lubing the chain, is there a preferred lube over another that everyone recommends? Thanks in advance, sorry for all the questions, I really enjoy riding on this thing and I want to continue on this bike as long as possible.
There's no wear on those chainrings. The non-uniformity you see is a design feature to improve shifting. It's is extremely unlikely that the skipping you've expereienced is due to the chain jumping on the chainrings. ProLink is a good chain lube, or you can make your own by mixing one part oil with three parts odorless mineral spirits. You can check your chain with a ruler: if it is less than 1/16" elongated over 24 links (12 inches nominal length) then you have no need to replace it. If you apply maximum pressure to the pedals and the chain skips in any cog, you need a new cassette, or at least a new cog.

Ceramic bearings would add absolutely nothing to your bike, though they would reduce the weight in your wallet. The most likely cause of your perceived chain skipping is a mis-adjusted shifter/rear derailleur.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good, thanks for the help. I have replaced the rear cassette on both my training rear wheel, as well as my race wheel. I am guessing it has to do with some misalignment issues. I am having issues getting into the hardest 2 cogs in both chainrings, the other cogs I have no problem with. It doesn't rub the front derailer, so that doesn't seem to be the issue, but the rear may be another story. Thanks again, and I will hold off on the ceramic parts.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Ahh yes, I didn't think about the RD... Originally, you didn't say your chain is only 300 miles young. If this started with the new chain, another possibility could be the chain length. If the LBS did it for you, get with them and make them fix it at their expense, not yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.