Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 1984 Miyata Team with a full vintage Dura Ace AX/EX groupo. The cranks are AX and require the over-sized Shimano pedals. What I want to do is switch to a crank that would allow me to use modern Shimano clipless pedals and I would prefer to use a vintage Ahimano crank that won't look too out of place. What vintage Shimano cranks should I be out looking for that will allow me to do this? My other "vintage" bike is a 1984 Miyata Pro but it now has a modern 9 speed Ultegra groupo. Thanks for any advise.

James D.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Quattro_Assi_07 said:
Hello,

I have a 1984 Miyata Team with a full vintage Dura Ace AX/EX groupo. The cranks are AX and require the over-sized Shimano pedals. What I want to do is switch to a crank that would allow me to use modern Shimano clipless pedals and I would prefer to use a vintage Ahimano crank that won't look too out of place. What vintage Shimano cranks should I be out looking for that will allow me to do this? My other "vintage" bike is a 1984 Miyata Pro but it now has a modern 9 speed Ultegra groupo. Thanks for any advise.

James D.
Pedal adapters would be cheaper. I've seen them on eBay. They thread into the AX cranks and allow you to thread regular sized pedals. Loosescrews has new ones for $34

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...apters&tc=&item_id=SH-1399901&id=764945212324

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you made my day!

I had no idea such an adapter even existed. I will have to order a set and keep my vintage groupo intact. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts