Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know if theres an easy tutorial on how to adjust wheel bearings? I noticed a loose back end during my last ride. Stopped at the next light and noticed the rear wheel has a bit of looseness. I feel like i can rock the rim back n fourth just a tad and I can feel this notch that I can rock between.

I've been doing some reading online and it sounds like this is a simple adjustment to make. The wheels i'm running are bontrager race lite.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I think you need special tools to remove/replace the cartriges in those hubs. It sounds like on one or both of the cartriges are worn/damaged. Try googling for 'bontrager race lite hub adjustment' or something similar.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Race Lites should have DT Swiss hubs, I don't think the bearings are adjustable. Make sure the bearings are OK, and the skewer is tight. It might just be time for new bearings

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
FWIW, I had a Bontrager Race Lite do that very thing from day one. But with just a few pounds of weight on it (hand pressure on saddle), the lateral play disappeared. It's still rolling fine without repair 2,000 miles later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
There is probably just a little play in the area that the cartridge bearing seats. Unlike cup and cone bearings, this does not indicate loose bearings, just a slightly loose assembly. It's probably better to have a bit of play rather than risk putting lateral pressure on the cartridge bearing assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.