Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a wheelset that i can use on my mountain bike. I would like to be able to take off my fat tires and run a more traditional cyclocross tire or road tire. I want to be able to go back and forth often, so i dont want to run slick instead of my knobbies. I need a wheel set that will accept disc brake rotors. Does anyone have any suggestion as to a possible direction that i could go. Do i need a mtb wheelset? Will they accept that small of a tire? Do i need a cx set? Will that fit under my frame and fork? if so does anyone have any suggestions of models? Thanks in advance for your helpful insight.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Not swapping

msl819 said:
I am looking for a wheelset that i can use on my mountain bike. I would like to be able to take off my fat tires and run a more traditional cyclocross tire or road tire. I want to be able to go back and forth often, so i dont want to run slick instead of my knobbies. I need a wheel set that will accept disc brake rotors. Does anyone have any suggestion as to a possible direction that i could go. Do i need a mtb wheelset? Will they accept that small of a tire? Do i need a cx set? Will that fit under my frame and fork? if so does anyone have any suggestions of models? Thanks in advance for your helpful insight.
The odds are good that your brakes will not adjust enough to allow you to swap a 700c wheel with a 26 inch wheel. If they do adjust enough (and the wheel will fit in your frame), then you would still have the issue of having to reset your brakes every time you swapped wheels. What is wrong with just using MTB wheels fitted with narrow tires?

·
Registered
237 Posts
It is unclear...

what you want. Do you want two wheelsets, or do you want to switch tires??
You can get narrow-ish mtb rims and mount narrow-ish 650C road tires that will go fast.
You can build up a disc wheel, no problem.

700C wheels might fit under your frame, you have to measure, not all bikes are the same. You can build them with discs, too.

You might want to refine your question, or give me more coffee.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess that is what i was asking, sorry for not stating it clearer. i dont really know what i need. i would like two set of wheels so i dont have to swap tires. i would like to be able to just unclinch and go. if a mtb wheelset is what i need than i guess that is what i need. how narrow of a tire can i run on a standard MTB wheelset. i am new to this idea. i have always thought of MTB wheelset different than road sets and never considered running a narrow (cx) knobbie on my mtb until i started more urban riding/commuting. I dont want to run through the soft compound, knobbies as fast as i know i would. therefore, i would like to be able to run one set on the road and another set for when i take the bike on the trail.

·
Registered
123 Posts
msl819 said:
i guess that is what i was asking, sorry for not stating it clearer. i dont really know what i need. i would like two set of wheels so i dont have to swap tires. i would like to be able to just unclinch and go. if a mtb wheelset is what i need than i guess that is what i need. how narrow of a tire can i run on a standard MTB wheelset. i am new to this idea. i have always thought of MTB wheelset different than road sets and never considered running a narrow (cx) knobbie on my mtb until i started more urban riding/commuting. I dont want to run through the soft compound, knobbies as fast as i know i would. therefore, i would like to be able to run one set on the road and another set for when i take the bike on the trail.

Just get another mtb wheelset and put on some 1" tires (Specialized Turbo or similar, you can run these between 115 - 125 psi). Watch for differences in the rim width though, my Rolf Propels were wider than my Mavic Crossrides, so it called for a minor v-brake adjustment whenever I switched, about a minute with the allen key and all was good.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Oops

msl819 said:
also too are the brake adjustments an issue if i am running disc brakes?
Sorry about that, I had a brain fart relative to your wanting to use discs. Brake adjustment is not an issue in that case. Still, you can get high pressure, narrow tires to fit MTB wheels, so why not go that route?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
ergott said:
Before I actually bought a cross frame, I was gonna do this to my F2000. The outer diameter of cross tires is roughly that of 1.95-2.1 mtb tires. Things SHOULD fit.

Pretty much any good wheelbuilder should be able to make you a set of wheels with road rims and mtn hubs.

Good luck!

M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.