Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the world of cycling and have signed up for a sprint triathlon. Purchasing a bike is so cunfusing. My budget is small and I have no brand recognition. I have found some bikes on-line (I know... I prob. should not buy a bike online but it seems to be the most inexpensive route) for less than $400. Can anyone tell me if they know anyhting about the 2009 Gavin DURUS Aluminium Road Racing Bike. and can anyone give me suggestion as far as other brands. I have also liiked at the 2009 DAWES LIGHTNING 1000ROAD BIKE any thoughts????
I am looking for an entry level bike. I understand that the majority of you are probably avid cyclist. Just try to remember when you first got into the sport when you reply to this post.
Thanks

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
First off, welcome to the board. Plenty of good folks here to help you out. You are right in that a bunch of us will see red flags in what you wrote. Just getting into cycling can be a overwhelming experience for a new rider who could get easily discouraged and frustrated. Just starting out with no experience I would HIGHLY recommend starting at one or 2 local bike shops (LBS). These folks know bikes. To buy a bike online you would need to know what you are looking for in sizes and components. The LBS will ask you your goals and get you fitted to the right size bike. They will also be there after the sale if you have issues with the bike later on. Do you have any friends who ride that might be able to help? I hate to see someone spend hard earned money and not get the right equipment when you could go to a LBS and get fitted for probably the same or a little more money. Also lets not forget helmet, gloves, bottle cages, water bottles, shorts (road or triathlon). Most bike shops we give deals on bike "packages". As to the bikes you specifically mention I have no idea if they are good bad or somewhere in the middle. Just trying to help. Good luck and have fun.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
Ditto on what jupiterrn said, but I might add that its a little late in the season to be looking for the ideal bike. How soon is your triathlon? You can do a sprint triathlon in almost any bike. This is my 1st season doing sprint triathlons - my 2nd race is coming up this weekend. At my 1st race last month I saw people on mountain bikes & department store bikes. Granted, I was passing them as I saw them, but most of them finished. (I started with the rest of the old geezers in the last wave & passed a lot of the youngsters during the swim & bike, then they passed me during the run. A few of the geezers passed me too.)

Don't get too hung up on having just the right bike. Get a bike that fits well & that you will enjoy riding, because even if you continue to be serious about triathlons, most of your riding will be non-competitive. You might find some late season sales, but the pickings will be thin & it might be hard finding your size. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Do you have a bike at all? The reason I ask is that why not just use whatever you currently have and are used to? Buying a racing bike won't change your placement much at this point, and you might waste some money if you go into it rashly.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I'm going to go against the other posters here, as I'm on a tight budget currently too. It is best to get help and fit at a bike specialty shop, but with a limited budget, you might have to sacrifice that.
look online at craigslist for a higher quality used bike, or go to bikesdirect.com if you really want new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks for all your input. I rode my friends Trek yesterday and it was amazing! Now I am even more confused. I guess I will keep looking on craigslist for a jewel to show up and if not... I will go to the lbs.I do not think I will be ordering online.

·
In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
Peanya said:
I'm going to go against the other posters here, as I'm on a tight budget currently too. It is best to get help and fit at a bike specialty shop, but with a limited budget, you might have to sacrifice that.
look online at craigslist for a higher quality used bike, or go to bikesdirect.com if you really want new.
Well, lets break this answer down into a couple "it depends" categories. I would recommend he goes the craigslist route if he is knowledgeable enough to know a bargain when he sees it & can get the right fit. He'd also need to be able to do his own mechanical work or be prepared to pay for it at the LBS. I could also recommend eBay, yard sales, or his local classifieds in the same way. But from the nature of the questions he asks, it sounds like he needs more guidance.

Buying from an online store has similar cautions, but I might also add that some of them (bikesdirect.com) select some components to get the buyers' attention while cutting corners on others. For instance, they will put good dérailleurs on the bike, but junk hubs & bottom brackets.

I faced a similar decision myself last spring, & decided to buy my bike on eBay. But I was already a mountain biker & have been spending a couple years learning to do a lot of my own wrench work & becoming knowledgeable about road bikes. Even with that, there were complications. I got a great deal on a bike, but had 2 frames damaged & replaced by UPS. Finally, I took the bike to the LBS to get the old components built up on the new frame. It took 6 weeks from the original eBay purchase to finally get the bike ridable. So now I have a really great bike that I ended up paying more for than I expected. But I also have a new frame, so it sort of balances out.

Now I'm in my 1st season of sprint triathlons & I'm actually rather competitive in my age bracket. But there are also a lot of people who are out there just to take on the personal challenge of finishing, & that's great. Many of them are riding mountain bikes, department store bikes, retro bikes, borrowed bikes, & obvious yard sale salvage jobs. Anything just to finish & claim the bragging rights, self esteem, & physical fitness goals associated with sprint triathlon.

If I didn't have the cash for a great triathlon bike, I would beg, or borrow, or buy cheap (but not steal) a sufficient bike just to get the job done for now. Just make sure it is safe & fits well enough so that you don't hurt yourself. Save up your money, get educated about what features you want in your next bike, learn some mechanical skills, & buy a few tools & accessories as you need them.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
yamelisortiz said:
Thanks for all your input. I rode my friends Trek yesterday and it was amazing! Now I am even more confused. I guess I will keep looking on craigslist for a jewel to show up and if not... I will go to the lbs.I do not think I will be ordering online.

Buying on-line is not for everyone - that is for sure
However, buying used is much riskier than buying on-line for most buyers
There are a few good deals to be had in the used market
But most used 'deals' are not good buys after all things are considered

Most bikes sold on-line are EXACTLY the same spec & quality level as bikes sold in Stores - as they come from the same factories and use the same parts suppliers.

If you are on a budget and do not want to buy on-line - shopping hard at an LBS for a new bike on sale is the best - and best deals are on bikes from Felt, Raleigh, Fuji, Jamis, or Giant - much more likely to be discounted than Trek or Specialized

Good luck and have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.