Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Actually, Spesh made steel Allez models right up until a few years ago, with DT shifters. IMO the quill stem is a more reliable indication of its age.

Those are pretty well-regarded frames. I don't know the value, but I will say this---you ain't getting it for 50 bucks, in all likelihood. It looks like it's in decent shape. My eyes aren't what they used to be, even with reading glasses, but it looks like you have 6 speeds on the rear, which means that it's probably 126 mm spacing. That will limit upgrading unless you cold-set the drop outs. Don't be afraid of DT shifting. I'm going to guess that with a Deore RD that it's indexed. It's easier to reach down and shift, than it is to remove and replace your water bottle from the DT cage.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My guess to the age of the bike was based on a few things. The quill stem brakes, crank and the 6 speed being among them. I still have a bike I bought in 1985 with a similar configuration. 12 speed, quill stem. DT shifters (non indexed). I was still riding it 3 years ago. Now it is a dedicated trainer bike. Around that era 27" and 700c were both pretty common. Cant tell which that bike has. Bikes of that era (mine included) often had 52/42 cranks which are not the best if you have any hills to deal with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.