Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an oh so poor grad student who rides a Fuji from the late 70s (it was my fathers). I am currently experiencing difficulty with either the crank or the deraileur. I am curious how difficult it is to change out the crank and what I need to know when purchasing a new/used setup. Also should I change the deraileurs at the same time? What about the back sprocket? thanks for you help

·
Registered
92 Posts
What exactly is the issue you are having? Cranks are a pretty solid part, so unless it's cracked they tend to live forever. You may just need to replace the chainrings on it. It has been my experiance that deraileurs also live a long time. They may just need to be lubricated and adjusted (or your shift cables could be old and need replacing). I think the most common solution to old drive train problems is a new chain and tune up. I'm betting your bottom bracket could use some attention also.

You can always find cheap parts on ebay. To remove a crank and/or deraileurs you are most likely going to need a couple special tools if you want the job to go smoothly and easily(crank puller/wrench and chain tool). The guys at your local bike shop should be helpful enough to recommend the right tools and tell you what parts you need. Some shops even sell/give away older used parts.

I doubt that it would be that expensive to even have them do the repairs, unless you are do-it-yourselfer.

Another thing to think about: You could spend about $100 fixing this bike, or you can get a decent shape 10-15 year old bike on ebay for $200-$300.

Just a thought.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Pretty impossible to give an answer without knowing more details. What's it doing / not doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

I am getting a constant creaking as I pedal along with what sounds to be the chain rubbing on the front derailer. I think I am going to put a new chain on anyway, any advice on how to make sure I get the right kind of chain?
thanks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Creaking could be a bunch of things. It's possible it's the pedals, the bottom bracket, the chain, or even the seat. Try to isolate the sound if you can, and start from there. As for the chain, just go to your LBS with your bike & theyll fix you right up.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
I think we're being trolled. Nobody could be a grad student and ask such a dumb question.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Versatile and Beer I will see what I can do this week about it, headed to the shop tomorrow.
Dave, as far as dumb questions coming from grad students, well that is just part of our training. If you are in any field where you may come in contact with someone who has done any grad work, you better get used to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts