Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe anyone do this ride on Friday's? Here's the description from JCBC:

Meet at Prairie Village Shopping Center Hen House parking lot. Ride route is determined by group as well as destination

I can't seem to find the PV shopping center. Help out a foreigner from out west.

·
Registered
69 Posts
never ridden it, but i do know where the PV shopping center is. It is located at about 73rd street and Mission Road in Prairie Village. Cant miss it if you head up Mission Road.
What part of town are you coming from?

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmar836 said:
Bull,
We have some good riding in Olathe. Why go deep into the inner burbs to ride? Where do you usually ride and with whom?
Dave
Olathe
I live in Colorado so that's why I was looking for an organized ride. The Hen House ride was on a Friday and I have some time that morning. Plus, getting lost sucks.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dmar836 said:
OIC. There is a pretty decent one on Sat morning at 7:30 and 8:30 on the south east side of town at Longview Lake. Tends to cater to all speeds.
Is Friday am your only availability? I work tonight but could ride Fri afternoon or eve if you are needing a tour guide.
Dave
Olathe
I'm planning ahead for a trip in a coulple of weeks. I'll be in town 7/24-7/28. I can generally get out for a ride most mornings. All of our plans are in the afternoon.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dmar836 said:
OIC. There is a pretty decent one on Sat morning at 7:30 and 8:30 on the south east side of town at Longview Lake. Tends to cater to all speeds.
Is Friday am your only availability? I work tonight but could ride Fri afternoon or eve if you are needing a tour guide.
Dave
Olathe
What is the average speed of the some of the faster group rides in the area? Has anyone done the hammer ride out of BikeSource on 135th in Olathe?

·
Registered
549 Posts
The main Longview ride ( Sat @ 8:30am) is a social 17-20 mph on the way out. Then, after the break, it's everyone for themselves with 21-23 avg with some hills that break it up - no killer hills though. That one is about 30mi total. There is an 11mi easy warmup ride at 7:30am and usually a cooldown ride around Longview Lake afterward.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dmar836 said:
The main Longview ride ( Sat @ 8:30am) is a social 17-20 mph on the way out. Then, after the break, it's everyone for themselves with 21-23 avg with some hills that break it up - no killer hills though. That one is about 30mi total. There is an 11mi easy warmup ride at 7:30am and usually a cooldown ride around Longview Lake afterward.
Dave - thanks. Is this a ride you do frequently?

·
Registered
549 Posts
If there isn't anything else, it's the one I've been doing. I got caught at a light right after the midway stop this weekend so wasn't near the front at all. It was best for the ailing L knee.
I would rather not stop at the halfway point of the 30 mile portion but it is a rec ride afterall. The ride after the stop is usually pretty spritely. The good part is you can ride easy or fast and there will be someone there with you. If you're recovering from injury you can do the slow before and after rides.
There is a weekly writeup about this ride at http://www.bestrecride.com/ Look under "Saturday's Story" for a list of weekly reports to see if it fits you.
Dave

·
Registered
549 Posts
Starts at the rec center of Longview College.
435 east past the triangle.
Right on View High Dr.
Right on SW 3rd St.
You'll see the Rec center on the left where everybody unloads. Bathrooms and water inside the rec center b/w rides. Coffee up the hill at PTs.

I'm hurt but I guess http://curbdestroyer.blogspot.com/ is having a ride Sat too. I'd do it but 80mi is a bit much right now.

There's a good Bike Shack ride on Sundays as well (40-60mi). Might do that one this week if I can take it easy Sat.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmar - you doing any group rides next week/weekend? I'll be in town late Wednesday (23rd) and I'm thinking about a group ride Friday and/or Saturday. I think I can make my way around the other days on my own.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dmar836 said:
I should be and usually do. Was thinking of either hitting the Longview ride or getting dropped on the "Dogride" on that Sat. I should be around that Thursday and Friday too as I usually work early in the week.
Give me a hollar early next week if you want 913-63six-365five
I'll give you a call tomorrow (Wednesday).

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
what the hell... Dmar? You are going to come to the dog ride on a Saturday with a bum knee? NOT the choice I would make. That ride is all up and down at pace the whole time with bigger rollers than county line. Not the ride I would suggest if you are lame. After a 2-4 mile warm up, its all at pace and they dont wait up for stragglers. There is a part where you can make up time as there is an out and back on the one 2 mile climb, but other than that... it can be nasty.

Or are you talking about the Dog ride at Longview on Sunday. That one is a fun one. Never know who is going to show up. That one can be nice and leisurely or stupid fast. That ride is like the proverbial box of chocolates... never know what you are going to get. I plan to be at both this weekend.

Where have you been dmar? I haven't seen you on the wed night rides. Not to say you havent been there, those rides are pretty big and I peg it as soon as we hit highgrove hill. You kind of have to go fast on that ride as its pretty short.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Usually at a martial arts class on Wednesdays. After working three consecutive 13-hour nights, my legs are still a little loose on Weds. Thurs through Sat I'm golden. Sundays I usually do a short 20 miles or so as I have to start working again that night.
What time is the Sunday dog ride? It that the one from JPs?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.