Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Am I the only one who hears from the spouse that the only thing that matters to me is riding that damn bike?

I'm told it is an obsession. I say it's a passion. I ride 20-30 hours a week depending on weather. I hold down a full time pretty decent paying job. I'm also told I'm not meeting my potential at work by turning down promotions, money, overtime etc. I coach all my son's b-ball, baseball teams.

I'm told I'm ignoring her wants and needs of getting the house painted/washed/cleaned/landscaped etc...it's getting real old. I told her the other day if I were her I would divorce me...

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
saddle tramp said:
Am I the only one who hears from the spouse that the only thing that matters to me is riding that damn bike?

I'm told it is an obsession. I say it's a passion. I ride 20-30 hours a week depending on weather. I hold down a full time pretty decent paying job. I'm also told I'm not meeting my potential at work by turning down promotions, money, overtime etc. I coach all my son's b-ball, baseball teams.

I'm told I'm ignoring her wants and needs of getting the house painted/washed/cleaned/landscaped etc...it's getting real old. I told her the other day if I were her I would divorce me...
if she wants the house painted/washed/cleaned/landscaped etc buy her some home improvement books, pat her on the butt and say go git 'em.....I like your priorities

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Lets see.............You work 40 hours a week, ride 20-30 hours and coach all your son's baseball and basketball teams...(6-10 hours)?
Sorry, but this isn't possible.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
il sogno said:
If I were her, I would hire a reaally cute painter to do the painting. And then a macho tanned dude to do the landscaping. And then a young adonis to do the washing and cleaning of the whatever-it-is-that-needs-to-be-washed-and-cleaned.

Yeeaahhh, {dreamy} that's what I'd do... :) :) :)
And what's wrong with that? I mean seriously.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
saddle tramp said:

And this is why I'll never marry until I'm much older.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
saddle tramp said:
I'm told I'm ignoring her wants and needs of getting the house painted/washed/cleaned/landscaped etc....
I used to have that problem. I started doin the crappiest job possible at those tasks. Now she just hires someone to do them. Problem solved.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
saddle tramp said:
If I were her, I would hire a reaally cute painter to do the painting. And then a macho tanned dude to do the landscaping. And then a young adonis to do the washing and cleaning of the whatever-it-is-that-needs-to-be-washed-and-cleaned.

Yeeaahhh, {dreamy} that's what I'd do... :) :) :)

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
20 hours a week = 5 four hours rides per week.

30 hours per week = 5 six hour rides per week.

I call shenanigans.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Coolhand said:
20 hours a week = 5 four hours rides per week.

30 hours per week = 5 six hour rides per week.

I call shenanigans.
Well 20 is just under 3 hours a day, which is pretty doable.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
"I call shenanigans"
That's too nice........How about BS

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Lets see.............You work 40 hours a week, ride 20-30 hours and coach all your son's baseball and basketball teams...(6-10 hours)?
Sorry, but this isn't possible.
Sure it is Grumps, just have to be creative:

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
"I call shenanigans"
That's too nice........How about BS
no it "could" be do-able.....but to settle it he needs to post his ave speed / ride.....or maybe he mis-typed and meant 20-30 miles/week...

/giving benefit of the doubt 'cause its monday and I'm in a good mood

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
You are a very nice man and a fine example to us all.

saddle tramp said:
I told her the other day if I were her I would divorce me...
:rolleyes:

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Man, riding 20-30 hours per week sounds like a lot to me. For me, working full-time, two kids, extra activities, etc., I'd be happy to get in 10-15 hours per week. It doesn't sound to me like she's being to demanding. Even if we consider the low end, 20 hours is still 4 hours for 5 days of the week. You work 8-16 or 9-17, that means you're not home before 20.00 or 21.00. Even on the weekends, that leaves little time for anything family/home oriented.'
Cheers, Wayne

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's been made clear to me that I can not put demands on her, for instance, why don't you go riding/walking/hiking, I'm told she not interested and that's ok with me. Why can I have demands put on me like, get the painting done and the other home stuff she supposedly enjoys so much and don't really matter to me. I'm hearing, if it's important to me then it better be important to you but not vice versa...

When it's nice out some of my riding hours are commuting hours. 50 miles round trip.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
saddle tramp said:
It's been made clear to me that I can not put demands on her, for instance, why don't you go riding/walking/hiking, I'm told she not interested and that's ok with me. Why can I have demands put on me like, get the painting done and the other home stuff she supposedly enjoys so much and don't really matter to me. I'm hearing, if it's important to me then it better be important to you but not vice versa...

When it's nice out some of my riding hours are commuting hours. 50 miles round trip.
Yes, it is tough when you don't have the same interests. Luckily, my wife and I enjoy the same activities. Time management must be difficult in your house. Wow, 50 miles is a lot. Wish I had half of that to go work...instead I eat breakfast and go upstairs to my home office. Not much exercise there. On the other hand, I can save my time for true recreation and not getting to and from work.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I think you need to figure out what's really wrong with your marriage.

I love my bikes, and I'm lucky enough to have a wife who insists I ride how much I want and whenever I want. Even putting those two positives together, I feel bad staying out on the road more than 15 or so hours weekly. Because one of the reasons I married the woman I did was so that I could spend time with her, enjoying her company.

What are you avoiding?

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
saddle tramp said:
Dude, you need to have her sign The Contract. Len posted about last week I think.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0217062contract1.html

Check it out, it may be your salvation if she signs off on it.....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts