KILO TT PRO
MOTOBECANE CROSS UNO
DAWES SST AL [polished Aluminum]
WINDSOR CLOCKWORK
DAWES MTA

so we will be up to 10 models we stock by Fall
very exciting catagory of bikes I think

Mike
Didn't they even give you a special forum so that you would quit selling things in the regular forums?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I find it interesting that the market for fixed/SS has stayed strong enough, long enough for BD to offer so many models (although to me they are pretty much one and the same).

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Interesting

I posted this exact post on another forum about 36 hours before I started this thread.

The difference in posts is already amazing as is the number of views.

This is about the 10th time I have run a test like this. Always get the same results. Probably no need for further testing.

Very interesting results from comparing two groups that you would think were both part of the same community. A community that one would think was interested primarily in bikes.

I love Social Studies

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard said:
Did we get a grade or is it "pass-fail"?
When I quit teraching; I also gave up assigning grades

This is just a way to gain information

In the old days, I used to stand on the sales floor and talk to individual customers to get information about the market.

The internet as improved many many things; including the easy of getting research done. In fact, I read all types of forums I never post on; and there is a ton that one can learn.

There are several bikes we have that are the direct result of input from forums. Including some of the SS/FG bikes that are on the way and some that are still in the design phase.

thanks
mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense from a business point of view not to offer so many completely different models? I'd offer two or three frames with a variety of build options and colors rather than 10 completely different bikes. Kinda like GM's problem with offering too many models compared to Honda & Toyota.

Of course, I also wouldn't get upset with people on the internet just because they weren't elated about a new product...but then again, I'm not in bike sales.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ASWood said:
Wouldn't it make sense from a business point of view not to offer so many completely different models? I'd offer two or three frames with a variety of build options and colors rather than 10 completely different bikes. Kinda like GM's problem with offering too many models compared to Honda & Toyota.

It would sure be easier to have two or three models
but we are not exactly like cars
A car company will keep one model name; and then offer it in 2-door, 4-door, hatch back, and wagon; with stick or auto trans; with 3 engine choices; with different wheels; with different interiors

In cycles; each change is a new model - basicly

Kilo TT has different geo than SST - still different than Cross Uno or Hour
Wheels, cranks, braze-ons, tubing, and so on

Even with about 10 SS/Fg we still have lots of requests for completely differnt bikes
Aluminum and Ti and CF requested often
tighter geo - and more relaxed
wider rr stays and forks to be more wide tire friendly
different wheels
different cranks
even bars - drop, flat, bull horn
no brakes, side-pulls, canti, and even mini v
some people are very focused on standard vs aheadset

takes lots of models to get close for even half the buyers

in cyclo cross we started with one model and will be at 8 models by this cyclo cross season. And even though we will have steel, aluminum, and Ti - there are those that want CF -- not to count the CX types that want disc tabs vs those that demand to not have disc tabs. Not to mention Shimano vs Sram vs Campy and those that love Mavic wheels vs those that like Ritchey or Vuelta

It takes a big selection these days in the bike business

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think you guys are doing a good thing and, while I am not in the market for one of your bikes, I wish I had known about you when I was.

I'm sure you know this but, when people come in here asking about buying their first bike, they get pointed your way.

Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dr. Placebo said:
Please describe this one. If it's what it sounds like, how wide a tire can it clear?

MOTOBECANE CROSS UNO is a SS/FG cyclo cross bike; with canti and comes with cross 32c tires. The drawings look like a 42c will fit easy. I think the tire range will be 23c to 42c given rim & fork & frame.

I am really excited to get this bike in
Factory now says shipping July 31st
Meaning we should get it in and thru customs by End of August

The interest in this bike is already really high [including I want one myself!]

I may have under ordered as this is a new bike
and I had no idea how much interest there would be

sizes are 49, 52, 54, 56, 58, 61
colors are Black with Silver Decals And White with Silver Decals [I am getting a white one for myself :) ]

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
Swayt. I'll have to hop on that white one quick. That's crazy. I've been racking my mind shopping for a bike in that category to fill a commuter role, but locking up a $700+ dollar bike outside all the live long day is not an interesting prospect. I look forward to seeing this bike and the pricing. Just about in time for school too.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dr. Placebo said:
Swayt. I'll have to hop on that white one quick. That's crazy. I've been racking my mind shopping for a bike in that category to fill a commuter role, but locking up a $700+ dollar bike outside all the live long day is not an interesting prospect. I look forward to seeing this bike and the pricing. Just about in time for school too.
We ordered a lot for school
I am thinking with gas at over $4 - more students will catch on to the joys of cycling

I want the price on this bike to be under $450 delivered [including shipping]
and if there is any way, I will get it down to $400

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.