Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my Sworks and of all the different frames I have had ranging from other Alu frames to various Ti frames this is the least expensive but it has been the best performing . I find to climb & accelerate better than the other frames I have had. It may be cheap and generic to some but I like it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like

Sirius said:
Here is a pic of my Sworks and of all the different frames I have had ranging from other Alu frames to various Ti frames this is the least expensive but it has been the best performing . I find to climb & accelerate better than the other frames I have had. It may be cheap and generic to some but I like it.

Nice bike!

Umm, since when is an S-works generic? Is that the 04 or 03 model frame. I like the fact that the 04 frameset is $600 cheaper than the 03. But, at aroune $1,000, your can't go wrong. That frame is anything but a comfy tourer. It is a race frame that is meant to be stiff and go fast. I would really want to know what justifies the extra 2 or 3 thosand dollar price increase of some of the more exotic competitors framesets.

But good pruchase and don't let anyone tell you your S-works is some cheapo generic bike just because you paid half of what they paid and it's actually possible for people to pronounce the name on the first try.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right!

The frame is an 03. It is actually my second one because the first one was a bit too big. And while I was riding my Titanium bike I really missed the S-Works that is why I bought the second one. Regardless of price this frame just is awesome. I am actually trying to find another one as a back up. BTW: that was funny about the pronouncing the name.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
Here is mine!

This is my ride! It is an '03 Allez Pro. It used to be an Allez Sport, but after an unfortunate highway incident in Texas last October, I had to replace the frame and fork. The componenents in the picture are from the sport. But I am in the process of upgrading, any suggestions are welcome! I already have a set of Mavic Cosmos wheels for it. :)

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
Tarmac....

The LBS invited me to try out this S-Works Tarmac for a few days. Interesting frame: The bottom section (painted red) is the E5 Aluminum spine with the upper section in carbon. It’s equipped with DA 9v, ‘04 Ksyrium SSC/SL, the S-Works carbon bar and Pave seatpost. I replaced the Specialized saddle with an Aliante and installed Speedplay X/1 pedals. The bike weighed in at 16.8 lbs as you see it (Size X-Large/60cm)….

It’s a pretty nice ride. Stiff enough through the driveline with quite sufficient dampening up through the saddle. The handling is pretty neutral, perhaps even a little slow, but a better fit for me would have been one size smaller. The larger size should be expected to feel a little slower….

All the bikes in my stable have 172.5 cranks. I got on this one, rolled the cranks over one revolution and said ‘These must be 175 cranks.’ Second revolution: ‘No doubt about it: 175 cranks.’ Sure enough….

The Carbon bar: I loved the flat top segment and hated the hooks. The last couple of years, I’ve taken to non-ergo shallow drop bars (Italian bend), so while I don’t necessarily have any aversion to ergo bends, that one section that bends up into the palm didn’t do it for me at all….

The computer is a Specialized Elite wireless. It worked for about ten minutes before becoming an RNG (Random Number Generator). After another hour or two, it read 0.0 mi/hr when the bike was rolling at anything over about ten or twelve mi/hr.

I like this bike. I’d change a few of the components, but I certainly wouldn’t boot it out of my stable…. ****/5.

Here’s the Specialized page with the frameset equipped for ’04 (DA 10v)…

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same two rides for me

My main bike is a 2003 S-works Sapone colors in 56cm. I changed just about everything on the bike and can highly recommend some of these changes if you have money to spend. I changed the wheels to Topolinos and love them! I use the FSA carbon compact crank which is a must have if you ride hills. The CAT TI brakes, USE ALIEN areo seatpost and a Selle SLR seat for weight savings, paired with 50g Bold Ti skewers. I also switched out the front derailure to a 2004 Campy Record primarily for looks. It has the carbon cage. My stem is a Deda Mag00 with the regular 3T carbon bar. I use the Speedplay Ti Zero pedals. All in all 6800g or 15.0 lbs. It's one sweat ride. Now all these extra components needed a home. So I got an Alez Pro frame off EBAY as pictured above, which is also an E5 and build it out with the Ksyrium wheels and all the components I took of the S-works bike. It made for a great ride also and came out at just over 17lbs. Not bad for a rainy weather and trainer bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is my 03 S-Works. Being a larger rider 6'4", ~260 lbs it rides like a dream. Nice and stiff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sirius said:
Bad Ass looking bike dude !!!!!

I have the 04 Allez Comp and I love it but the S-Works just smokes !!!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigriderblack said:
Are you running campy on these?
Yes - both have Campy Record but the silver 04 will be getting a different wheelset this week. I ordered a set of Campy Eurus.

·
Quit upgrading & ride!
188 Posts
Sirius said:
Just a pic of my 04 SWorks which is also in he gallery.
Why didn't u shut the front brake adjuster before u took the pic, it would've looked even sweeter?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cat 3 boy said:
Why didn't u shut the front brake adjuster before u took the pic, it would've looked even sweeter?
I know ... didn't notice till it was too late but when I get my new wheels I will repost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Weight ?

I have a question - I was looking in the saving weight forum on this message board and there is a guy on there who is claiming that the 03 Allez Comp weighs almost 2.5 pounds less than the 04.(same frame size 56cm stock w/ Ultegra) He says the reason is two fold 1) lighter wheels and 2) He says the 03 is smooth weld E5 and the 04 is not. I guess my questions is three part

1). Is this true in regards to AL used in the 03 & 04 - I was under the impression the 04 is smooth weld E5 Columbus AL.?

2)What would be acceptable weight for this bike - mine weighs in at about 20lbs w/ pedals and computer.?

3). Where is the best place to shave weight on this bike - would like to get down at least below 20 lbs.

Look forward to the info - Help me out here Sirrius

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bigriderblack said:
I have a question - I was looking in the saving weight forum on this message board and there is a guy on there who is claiming that the 03 Allez Comp weighs almost 2.5 pounds less than the 04.(same frame size 56cm stock w/ Ultegra) He says the reason is two fold 1) lighter wheels and 2) He says the 03 is smooth weld E5 and the 04 is not. I guess my questions is three part

1). Is this true in regards to AL used in the 03 & 04 - I was under the impression the 04 is smooth weld E5 Columbus AL.?

2)What would be acceptable weight for this bike - mine weighs in at about 20lbs w/ pedals and computer.?

3). Where is the best place to shave weight on this bike - would like to get down at least below 20 lbs.

Look forward to the info - Help me out here Sirrius
The 04 does use E5 Columbus tubing. An acceptable weight depending on size would be 17-18 lbs. I have mine at a hair over 16 (size 52) but I just got my new wheels. I don't expect a major weight difference. The best place to shave some weight are the wheels. I feel that is the best bang for the buck because that is rotating weight. But if you are a Clydesdale you have to be careful with wheel choice. I could get my bike in the sub 16 lb range with lighter wheels, post, bar,stem but It could result in a "weaker" bike. I weigh 190 down from 260 last year and I don't want a fragile bike. Right now with the Campy Eurus wheels I have an "All Campy" bike and very happy with it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sirius said:
The 04 does use E5 Columbus tubing. An acceptable weight depending on size would be 17-18 lbs. I have mine at a hair over 16 (size 52) but I just got my new wheels. I don't expect a major weight difference. The best place to shave some weight are the wheels. I feel that is the best bang for the buck because that is rotating weight. But if you are a Clydesdale you have to be careful with wheel choice. I could get my bike in the sub 16 lb range with lighter wheels, post, bar,stem but It could result in a "weaker" bike. I weigh 190 down from 260 last year and I don't want a fragile bike. Right now with the Campy Eurus wheels I have an "All Campy" bike and very happy with it.

I am a little heavier than you are - about 206 right now - Should be down to 200 by next month. I guess I was just surprised at how heavy my new bike is but I guess that is more about wheel weight , stem. bar, etc. All the kit on it right now is stock with Mavic Equipes.
Any suggestions besides a lighter wheelset?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts