Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran over a little dog the other day on the bike. He seemed OK and I actually didn't go down. But, it could have been bad, for both of us.

I have seen the "Halt" spray at local stores. Does this stuff work and does it cause permanent damage? Also, is there any legal liability about using it (irate owner suing over dog "eye surgery" or "mental trauma" to the dog). I would presume this would be better than a .380 to the head from my LCP...

Todd

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow...did he just dart out in front of you?
Did both tires hit him?
I have had some close calls with squirrles.
I am scared that one day one will try to jump through my rim while I am riding.
That would be catastrophic!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, there was a pack of three of the little guys. One of them got a little too close and I ran over his leg with the front tire. He ran off, so it obviously wasn't too bad.

There are bigger dogs on my route, and I'd like some means of keeping them at bay (no pun intended).

Todd

·
Registered
949 Posts
+1 on the water bottle, before pepper spraying the poor little pup...
Or how about a good yell, "NO, STAY!!!" More often than not, that will cause them to turn back.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
99.9% of the time, I use a water bottle as well, though once I did empty a small bottle of pepper spray on two large dogs that caught me off-guard near the top of a hill. One was trying to "heard" me from the front by biting @ my tire while the other was trying to bite my leg. I had no momentum to get away, so I felt like I had no other choice than to spray them or get wrecked and/or bitten. I still felt kinda bad about it, but I honestly could not have reached the water bottle w/out risking getting bitten or having my front tire knocked out from under me. It was me or them!

Pepper spray gets everywhere when you use it, so I ended up with it on my gloves, which meant that I inadvertently wiped my nose/face, which burned like a mofo. I also had spots on my arm/leg that burned for a good 24 hours as well. Don't even begin to think about using it on a group ride.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you're going to try yelling, I've found it's best to wait until they're less than 10 feet away then let them have it with everything you've got. If you've done it right, you'll be hoarse for the rest of the day, but the dog will almost always stop cold :D

The water bottle trick will stop them for about 5 seconds if you hit their face. This is normally enough time for you to escape and persuade them not to chase. However, if you're dealing with multiple dogs, by the time you get a bead on the second one and squirt him, the first one has recovered sufficiently to take over again!

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
crispy010 said:
If you're going to try yelling, I've found it's best to wait until they're less than 10 feet away then let them have it with everything you've got. If you've done it right, you'll be hoarse for the rest of the day, but the dog will almost always stop cold :D
+1 on yelling LOUD and LATE with a drill sergeant type of barking voice (no pun intended). Yelling at a normal yell volume (like you are calling to a friend) or sooner has no effect.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mr. IROC-Z said:
I have had some close calls with squirrles.
I am scared that one day one will try to jump through my rim while I am riding.
That would be catastrophic!
It happens to MTB's all the time. THey get all tangled up and mangled arroud the hub, through the spokes, and break disk.
I've not had a squirl problem, but I have brushed a couple deer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Visitor302 said:
It happens to MTB's all the time. THey get all tangled up and mangled arroud the hub, through the spokes, and break disk.
I've not had a squirl problem, but I have brushed a couple deer.
Wow....i Didn't know it was such a problem! I wonder if anyone has any pics of such incidents!

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts

i usually pack heat for this matter.
a .44 fits in my right jersey pocket and counters the weight of my mini pump that
goes in my left........ :)

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
Small air horns also work quite well. There is a size that will fit in a jersey pocket.

·
Registered
420 Posts
MANTEIGA said:
i usually pack heat for this matter.
a .44 fits in my right jersey pocket and counters the weight of my mini pump that
goes in my right......... :)
Just don't pull a Plaxico.

And I don't condone carrying while on a bike, either, unless you're riding through Compton after dark.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In my experience a loud growl when they are about a a meter away works. Dogs don't expect people to growl. At speed they just roll over and run away. You ned halt for multiple dogs. It is tried and tested by the USPS.

TT

·
mad11:11one
222 Posts

palu said:
Just don't pull a Plaxico.

And I don't condone carrying while on a bike, either, unless you're riding through Compton after dark.

is cf safe to ride with a bullet hole through the tt..?
think it went through the clear into the paint!?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yelling has always worked for me a well. Yes you do need to wait until the dog is right on you for it to be effective. I was on one of my usual routes this weekend and sure enough the usual Doberman came lumbering out from behind the bush. I have encountered him enough now that he seems to know me and just stands in the yard now and barks.

Ekh.

·
Registered
420 Posts
MANTEIGA said:
is cf safe to ride with a bullet hole through the tt..?
think it went through the clear into the paint!?
No, unless it went right through the center, which will then still perform normal. Same goes for the femur.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Outrun dogs. Great sprinting practice :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
nOOky said:
Outrun dogs. Great sprinting practice :)
Most dogs can sprint at 35+ mph. It takes them 3 to 4 strides to accelerate to full speed. Unless you can wind up your sprint in about 30 feet, outrunning is going to be difficult. It is astonishing how fast dogs can run when they put their mind to it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I've ran over a little dog going downhill at around 35mph last year, pegged it with my left crank arm and ended up killing it. Scared the crap out of me as it was on some rough pavement and he came flying out of the ditch.

Best weapon for bigger dogs that I've found is nunchuks or speedchuks that are attached with a short string as they are light and easier to control. Mace is worthless in Kansas because of the winds. Waterbottles aren't going to deter a mean dog out in the country. Guns work, but animal rights activists go crazy if you don't feel like feeding your leg to an angry dog. Pellet guns, semi auto is ideal, but once again big trouble from the animal rights groups if you put out an eye.

Everyone knows about what happened to the lady that got attacked by a chimp in California a few months back. Took her eyes, nose, lips, and both hands amputated. And still the animal rights people thought the cop that shot that chimp should have used a tranqualizer dart.

As far as your rights. If the dog isn't restrained and it's chasing you, you have every right to defend yourself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts