Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW, what an imporvement! i took her out yesterday in Atlanta and man what a difference in the way it rides compared to the threaded alum front fork. Its so smooth and my arms dont get rattled apart. I get this stuff at perfromance bike for 182.99, tax included:thumbsup: which i think is a pretty solid deal for a fork, headset, stem, and spacers. Well here is a picture of what it looks like and again i wanted to say thanks for all of your suggestions

·
Registered
599 Posts
Looks like you need another spacer.

From the looks of it, you may need another spacer. Is the topcap pressing on the steerer tube instead of a spacer? The topcap needs to press on a spacer/stem in order to tighten the headset assembly properly.

Otherwise it looks good, and is fitting for the frame.

Brooks K.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
top cap problem???

It looks like the top cap is bearing against the steering tube, not the spacer on top of the stem. Perhaps, you've corrected the problem with another 5mm spacer. There must be a small (1-3mm) gap between the top spacer and the top cap, or the headset can never be properly tightened. The headset will be ruined real quick if you ride with it loose.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Jeepson33s said:
Ahh, i was wondering what i should do about that, so just go get another spacer to tighten that down, or cut the steerer?
Another spacer will cure this for the short term, and as C-40 said, you'll need about 1-3mm spacing between the top of the spacer and the steerer tube. Judging by the photo, a 5mm spacer would probably do.

As for whether you cut the steerer, it depends. If you're satisfied with the current height of the stem and don't plan on changing it, you may want to cut it down as a matter of aesthetics. If the stack of spacers above the stem doesn't bother you, it does no harm to leave it the way it is.

·
Twitterpated
3,118 Posts
Jeepson33s said:
Ahh, i was wondering what i should do about that, so just go get another spacer to tighten that down, or cut the steerer?
Yes, just add another small spacer, whatever it takes to make the total spacer height to be a few millimeters above the steerer tube. That way, the top cap will press against the spacer, keeping pressure on them, the stem and the headset, which keeps everthing together and tight like it should be. The issue is serious enough that if left unchanged could cause a crash. It's an easy fix.

Cutting the steerer is a sollution. I would save that for the future however, once you've ridden the bike for several weeks or a few months and are confident that the stem/handlebars are raised or lowever into the best position and feel most comfortable while riding.

Great looking bike, lustworthy, enjoy.

Thanks,
Tshirt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just a little, and i probably have the seat too low also, i usally ride a 54-55 and this is a 56. i dont really know how to adjust the seat, ifs comfy when i sit so i dont mess with it. Some suggestions would be great on what is the correct way to have the seat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.